Home Remedies for Painful Periods
Almost every woman has undergone painful periods in some month or other. This happens because the uterus contracts during menstruation to discharge the lining outside your body. However, cramping becomes severe in women with high levels of prostaglandin, a hormone that triggers contraction of muscles in the uterus. Painful periods can be managed at home. We have explained you the best home remedies for it.
Things to do
- Compress your belly and pelvic area with hot water pad or with a heating patch. Heat relaxes the uterine muscles and gives you comfort.
- If you don’t have the above mentioned devices in handy, then you can fill a bottle with hot water and roll it over your belly.
- Soak your body in a warm water bath tub or take warm bath.
- Chamomile tea is a wonderful pain reliever for menstrual cramps owing to its natural anti-inflammatory properties. Sip 2-3 cuppa of warm chamomile tea to cope with the pain.
- Other herbal teas with cramp-relief effect are mint tea and gingerroot tea.
- You can also have cinnamon tea or boil a few sticks of cinnamon in water and have the warm tea because it has anti-spasmodic effect.
- Gorge on body cleansing fruits laden with water and vitamin C. Have watermelon, musk melon, papaya, berries, cucumber, oranges and lime give you comfort to some extent.
- Dried apricots, beans and cereals are rich in iron and they should also form a part of your diet to make up for the lost iron in case of heavy bleeding
- Crush few basil leaves and extract the juice. Mix it with warm water and have it
- Crush few fennel seeds in warm water and seep it hot to get momentary relief
- Start having aloe-vera juice if you get bogged down with too much pain during periods
- Massage your belly and the abdominal region with lavender oil to get instant relief
- Relax your body, avoid wearing tight clothes that will pain and cram your abdomen
- Stay hydrated- keep drinking warm water throughout the day to relax your uterine muscles.
- Soak in 3 teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water overnight. Strain the seeds and sip the water the next day. Follow this therapy throughout your periods.
- Boil few raisins in water and drink the water warm. This is an age old remedy for painful periods.
- You need to do mild exercise/yoga/meditation during menstruation also. Keep walking around the room and practise breathing to get rid of the cramps.
- Lie down on your back and fold your legs. You can also sleep sideways and support your tummy with a pillow.
- Get orgasm, your body releases oxytocin which eases the pain.
Things to Avoid
- Do not sleep on your stomach.
- Avoid red meat, fast foods, spice-rich foods, salty foods, caffeine and other gas causing food. They aggravate abdomen cramping
- Refrain from lifting heaving weights in gym and even at home. Do not go for strenuous exercises
Managing painful periods is possible with the aforementioned home remedies. However, if the pain is unbearable, then you can have a pain-killer or go for a health check-up to know the best ways to get rid of the pain.
Written by: Saptakee sengupta
Date last updated: January 05, 2015