The old saying, “an apple a day keeps doctor away” is absolutely correct. Those bright red/green pulpy and juicy fruit is a natural saviour against a wide range of health complications. Apple is one of those healthiest foods that you must consume every day.
Now let’s take a look at the health benefits of apples:
- Apples contain soluble fibres which help in eliminating constipation and improve function of colon.
- The soluble fibres also reduce chances of developing intestinal disorders like haemorrhoids and diverticulitis.
- Being rich in dietary fibres apples keep insulin levels at the bay by slowing down release of sugar in the blood. Therefore, diabetes patients must eat apples regularly.
- Pectin present in fibres brings down levels of bad cholesterol. Thus, if you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol, then make sure you eat an apple every day.
- Pectin- the soluble fibre essentially protects your heart from atherosclerosis and different forms of inflammation.
- Apples are high in potassium, which plays a vital role in controlling blood pressure, maintaining electrolyte balance and preventing heart attack.
- Apart from the pulp, the skin of apple contains anti- cancer agents known as triterpenoids. They reduce potential risks of developing liver, breasts and colon cancer.
- Flavonols are abundantly present in apples and they act against pancreatic cancer.
- Flavonoids like procyanidin B2, quercetin, and epicatechin are vital for protecting your body from the harmful effects of toxins and free radicals.
- Apples are enriched with beta carotene and vitamin C. These two compounds enhance your immune system as well as save your body from free radical damage.
- Research studies have shown that apples being rich in anti-oxidants are excellent for boosting function of the neurotransmitters. Drinking apple juice regularly makes one less susceptible to Alzheimer’s disease in the old age.
- Scientists claim that the “radical fighting power” of apples prevents Parkinson’s disease to some extent.
- The component quercetin present in the skin of the apple improves function of the lungs. Apple is known to “lubricate” the lungs.
- B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, thiamin, and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) are those cofactors present in apples responsible for carrying out body’s metabolic reactions properly.
- Apples keep women safe from osteoporosis because it contains the flavonoid- phloridzin. This compound is capable of improving bone density.
- In the regard of bone function, boron - another element present in apples also enhances density of bones.
- The good news is – apples improve your oral health. When you chew apples, saliva production in your mouth increases. Stimulation of enzymatic activity of the saliva fights bacteria and prevents dental decay.
- Apples, being rich in fiber, must be present in the diet of a person diagnosed with gallstone.
- Apples protect you from gaining weight. Being laden with fibers, apples keep you full for a long time and hence you don’t need to worry about hunger pangs. 100 grams of apples contain only 50-80 calories.
- The combination of vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants keep your skin healthy and flawless. So have apples regularly for a healthy skin.
Now that you know those numerous health benefits of apples, don’t you think you must munch it every day? Be it in the form of juice or slices, the effect will be same. Also remember to not peel off the apple.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: October 30, 2013