Low testosterone and low sex drive in men
Testosterone is the hormone secreted by the male body and is primarily responsible for sexual drive and performance. Low testosterone is a relative matter and can be evaluated only by doctors. However, in any case it accounts to decreased libido, lack of energy and apathy towards having sex.
Why do testosterone levels deplete?
Several studies have revealed that reduction in testosterone happens with increase in age, which is considered to be the primary risk factor. The decline is sex drive is further triggerd by stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, depression, alcoholism, and chronic health complications.
Doctors also link certain medical conditions and treatments to decline in testosterone levels. They are obesity, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, metabolic syndrome, endothelial dysfunction, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, infection in genitals, etc. Under such circumstance, men significantly suffer from lack of sexual energy.
Impact of low testosterone on sex life
The tell tale signs of low testosterone in men are:
- Low sex drive
- Lack of performance
- Low energy, sluggishness
- Hot flashes, sweat
- Increased body fat
- Erectile dysfunction
Many men find it embarrassing to discuss such problems with their partner. However, this is certainly not wise. Rather suppressing the need to talk can lead to frustration and negatively impact your sex life. Therefore we have come up with some solutions to this problem:
- Talk about the issue with your partner because she may be worried too and is willing to help you in every way
- Get the facts clear- this means understand your problem and its symptoms. Educate yourself about the hormone testosterone
- Go for a medical check up along with your partner, address the issue and work out the problem together
Diagnosis of low testosterone and sexual health
You can visit a sexual health expert for this issue. He/she will evaluate the symptoms and ask you several questions regarding your sexual life and general health. You will need to undergo a testosterone test.
For an adult male, the normal range for testosterone is between 300 and 1,000 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dl). Any value lesser than 300 ng/dl is an indication of insufficient testosterone in your body. However, your doctor will monitor the levels as it depends on which time of the day your blood has been drawn and consider several other factors, like age, physical health, etc. before confirming the reports and proceeding towards treatment.
Treatment for low testosterone and improving sex drive
The treatment for depletion in testosterone level inside your body is dependent on the responsible factors shown in the diagnostic reports. Your doctor may not advice external dosage of testosterone if reversible factors have primarily caused decline in testosterone level.
Testosterone therapy may be conducted by your doctor to restore the normal levels. It involves use of testosterone injections or testosterone patch or gel. However, not everyone is the right candidate for testosterone therapy.
You can seek for a counselling to get rid of stress, anxiety, depression and alcohol addiction
Natural ways to boost testosterone and sex drive
There are several wonderful ways to increase testosterone levels inside body, which ultimately contributes to enhanced sex drive:
- Reduce weight and be energetic. Get enough of exercise, sports or any kind of physical activity that will burn your body fat
- Manage a testosterone-healthy diet- Eat foods rich proteins, healthy carbs and unsaturated fatty acids. Cut down on sugar, starch, cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Control your addiction towards alcohol, especially beer. Have in moderation
- Eat lots of fresh fruits (avocadoes, figs, peaches, black grapes, water melon, etc.) and cruciferous as well as coloured vegetables (beet root, carrots, etc.)
- Add zinc, vitamin D, vitamin E and omega-3-fats. Consume oyster, salmon, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc. to suffice their need
- Beat stress and depression through body healing techniques like massage therapies, yoga and meditation techniques.
Low testosterone and low sex drive are interrelated and the remedies we have offered improve both the aspects simultaneously.
Date last updated: January 19, 2015