Why is semen analysis done?
Semen analysis is recommended when couples have problem in conceiving a baby. It rules out infertility for men.
Another instance where semen analysis is done is – after vasectomy to ensure that no sperm is present in the semen. In this case it might be order after 6 months of the operation.
What is semen analysis?
As said above, your doctor can determine infertility by analysing various attributes of the semen which essentially include the following:
- Motility: ability of the sperm to move or swim
- Morphology: number of sperms that have a normal shape
- Count: measure of quantity of sperm/ejaculation
- Vitality: potential of the sperm to survive
- Quantity of semen/ ejaculation, pH, fructose level, and WBC count in semen
How is semen analysis done?
You need to give your sperm to the doctor or laboratory assistant for testing. You can either collect it at home or step in to the clinic for handover.
Semen is generally collected by masturbation or by electrical stimulation in to the cup provided at the health care sector.
If you are collecting it while having intercourse with your partner, then you can directly transfer the condom in to the container. Tie the open end of the condom to prevent spillage. While performing withdrawal technique, make sure you masturbate in the cup.
You need to handover the semen sample to the laboratory within 1 hour of discharge.
Preparations for semen analysis
- Your doctor might ask you to avoid masturbating 2-3 days before the test day to ensure optimal amount of sperm in your semen
- Let your doctor know if you are taking pills, herbal supplements, vitamin tablets or any kind of sex pills
- Make sure you are not using any kind of lubricant or chemicals over your penis neither your condom should contain it.
- Always wash your hands as well as penis to avoid contamination of semen
How efficient is semen analysis?
Semen analysis is very effective if you follow the precautions and conduct it properly. Your doctor might schedule repetitive tests with 3 or more samples within a stipulated period to further confirm the test reports.
Semen Analysis Report
As per WebMD, a typical semen analysis report will contain the following information:
- Sperm count: Normal sperm count is 20 million spermatozoa/mL or more. It should be 0 in case of vasectomy males
- Sperm morphology: Ideally more than 30% of sperms should have normal morphology
- Sperm motility: More than 50% of the sperm show normal forward movement after 1 hour
- Semen volume, pH and WBC count: 2–5 ML per ejaculation, anything below this range is abnormal. The Ph should range from 7.1-8 and there shouldn’t be any WBC in normal reports
The bottom line: The reports of semen analysis will be scrutinized very minutely and you might need to undergo other tests before your doctor predicts anything negative about your sexual potency.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: August 12, 2014