Facts Important To Know About Circumcision
Circumcision is surgical operation that involves removal of the foreskin from penis. Although earlier, the operation was practiced in some special cases only, today, due to its various health benefits, a lot of men undergo this surgery out of choice.
Reasons for getting Circumcision
.Although, foreskin aids in protecting penis glans from damage and provides sexual bliss during sexual intercourse, surgery of Circumcision is performed for a variety of reasons. In Judaism and Islam, it is considered as an important ritual, whereas, in many religions operation is carried out for hygiene reasons. Sometimes, in individuals, the operation is done for medical reasons for instance, to prevent the foreskin from getting infected (balanoposthitis), etc. When foreskin becomes tight or narrowed and unable to pull back, then the operation is performed.
Procedure of the Operation
Circumcision operation usually lasts for 20 to 30 minutes. Operation involves cutting down of the foreskin and attaching the remaining skin with the base of penis’s head through stitches. After the removal of the foreskin, skin takes 7-8 days to heal up. Once the operation is completed, antibiotics are given regularly for a few days to lessen the pain. It is suggested not to wear underpants in order to avoid rubbing for a certain period of time. The stitches disappear within a short span of time, say a week or so.
Possible health benefits
A patient experiences plethora of health benefits after undertaking circumcision surgical operation. Some of them are listed below:
- Conditions like Balanitis (inflammation of the head of the penis) and Phimosis (tightening of the foreskin) can be effectively treated with Circumcision. Phimosis is a situation which creates difficulties in urinating and makes sex less enjoyable in adulthood.
- Penile cancer is a rare disease that is caused due to lack of personal hygiene, smoking, etc and both infants and adults can suffer from the cancer. Circumcision is suggested as effective treatment of the cancer that has 100% success rate in the cases of infants and adults are protected to a great extent from this operation.
- If the sources are to be believed, then some of the studies have suggested that circumcised men are at less risk to get affected with HIV and AIDS.
- Since 1987, many studies have reported that uncircumcised male infants are at a greater risk, say 10 times more expose towards contracting with urinary tract infections as compared to circumcised males.
- Sexually transmitted infections that result in causing ulcers on the genitals are found common in uncircumcised men and hence prevent circumcised men from the same. According to a report published in the New England Journal of Medicine “Circumcised males are less likely to get infected with sexually transmitted infections like genital herpes, etc”.
Complications can occur during or after surgical operation. Complications that can occur during operation include excessive bleeding, adverse reaction to anesthetic, etc. Some rare complications of circumcision can include:
- Excessive or less removal of the foreskin.
- Damage to the urine tube in penis
- Glans’ amputation
Therefore, it is advised to seek health professional’s guidance in order to undertake circumcision surgery.
Summary- Procedure of removal of the foreskin from male penis is defined as Circumcision. For various medical as well as religious reasons, the operation is done. Males undergone circumcised surgery enjoy certain set of benefits over uncircumcised males like protection from HIV, penile cancer, urinary tract infections, etc.
Date last updated: April 12, 2015