Home Remedies for Acidity
Acidity is a very common condition that we all have experienced at some point or other. It occurs due to excessive secretion of acids by the gastric glands of the stomach.
We feel heat burn inside our stomach accompanied by discomfort, dizziness and pain. It’s more often triggered by consumption of spicy, junk and oily foods. Some people succumb to acidity quite frequently and it’s indeed difficult for them to get rid of the discomfort immediately. And that’s when home remedies come in use.
Let’s find out some quick and simple ways to overcome acidity.
- If you are prone to acidity, then make it a habit to drink a glass of lukewarm water as soon as you wake up in the morning. And then keep drinking at least 2-3 litres of water throughout the day.
- You should not keep your stomach empty for a long time. Eat at least 5-6 times a day every two hours. Fill your stomach with light and healthy snacks like crackers, nuts and fruits ( banana, watermelon, melon and apples). Avoid citrus fruits.
- A glass of cold milk works wonders on acidity. Milk is rich in calcium, which prevents formation of stomach acids and this why we suggest you to have cold milk after a spicy meal.
- Baking soda has an instant effect on acidity. Therefore, stock it at home. Next time you have acidity, just mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water. Stir until it dissolves and then drink it.
- Tulsi, clove, fennel seeds, cardamom, and amla are natural cures for acidity. So keep chewing them. You can boil mint leaves in water and drink it after your meal to get immediate relief.
- Ginger aids in digestion. Bite a few dried ginger flakes after your food. Add ginger and garlic to your food while cooking. This will prevent you from developing acidity.
- Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful acid neutralizing agent. Mix 2 teaspoons of it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a glass of water. If you are constantly having acidity problems, then try this before your meals for a few days.
- Another wonderful cure for acidity is tender coconut water. If you are regularly having acidity problems, then drink its water every day at least for a month or so.
- Drink more herbal teas like green tea and those with liquorice and spearmint.
- Eat simple foods along with yogurt and salad. Fish, lentils, beans, lean meat, vegetables, etc are safe on stomach. So have them regularly. You can prepare the salad with yogurt, cucumber, sprouts, and onions.
What not to Eat and what not to do?
- Do not sleep immediately after eating a heavy meal. Wait for at least half an hour to allow your food enter the digestion process.
- If you have acidity attacks and sour belches every now and then, then you must consider changing your food habits. Avoid eating spicy foods, fried and fatty items, sauces and seasonings, tomato and tomato based products, and citrus fruits.
- Stay away from alcohol and beverages like coffee and tea.
Acidity is not something to worry about too much. You have ample options to get rid of it. However, you need to practice healthy eating habits in order to build a healthy system. This way you will be protected against any kind of digestive disorders.
Written by: Saptakee sengupta
Date last updated: January 01, 2015