Home remedies for nail problems
Remove that nail fungus
Fungal infection in nail can be painful. It appears as light yellow spots on the nails and gradually spreads to your cuticles. You can protect your nails or ward off fungal infection in the following ways:
Tea tree oil: An excellent natural antifungal agent is tea tree oil. Massaging your nails everyday with tea tree oil helps to get over the infection. Otherwise you can use tea tree oil once a week to protect them from fungus.
Ceylon Cinnamon Leaf Oil: Another excellent treatment for tough nail fungus is Ceylon cinnamon leaf oil. On applying this oil the infected nail will start flaking off followed by re growth of healthy nail. Apply as directed only over your nail. You can massage the cuticle with coconut oil.
Getting rid of accumulated dirt
Dirty nails are a total eye sore and if you do not clean your nails after household chores, handling chemicals or cleaning jobs then gradually the accumulated dirt will lead to infection.
It’s very easy to clean your nails. Just use nail cleaner from the nail clutter to remove the dirt from underneath your nails. Dip your nails in a bowl of water and use a lemon or a mild shampoo to rinse off the debris. Your nails are squeaky clean!
Healing dry and flaky nails
Are your nails turning dry and flaky or you can those fine lines are visible on your nails... This is due to lack of moisture. We offer you the following remedies for dry and flaky nails:
- Take a dollop of petroleum jelly or any daily use moisturizer in your fingertip and moisturize your nails and cuticles.
- Coconut oil is excellent for the delicate skin around nails, the cuticles and the nail itself. Massage your nails daily after bath or after handling water
Healthy diet for healthy nails
Your diet is important for the quality of your nails represent the foods that you eat every day. It’s necessary to consume the right amount of protein, zinc, calcium and vitamin C for strong and lustrous nails. White spots on nails, brittleness and dryness account to deficiencies of these elements.
Consume fish, poultry, beans, fortified cereals, nuts, whole grains, citrus fruits, dairy and plenty of dark green vegetables to boost health and quality of your nails.
Remedies for stinky nails
Your nails can stink for a number of reasons; the most common reason is- handling meat, fish, garlic, onions, etc. They also tend to stink if you wear gloves or socks for a long time. The remedies for stinky nails are:
- Rinse your nails with lemon juice/peel or apple cider vinegar to avoid bad smell
- You can buy OTC antimicrobial powder for applying over your toe nails and feet before wearing socks or shoes
- Spraying perfume on toe nails is also a good option for getting rid of bad smell
- Orange oil, rosemary oil and grapes seed oil are have excellent fragrance which proves useful for nails.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: November 20, 2014