Here we give you tips to avoid knee problems...
Avoid over stressing your knee muscles
You should not do any kind of physical activity that makes you vulnerable to knee injury. Take care of the following things:
- Avoid running over the staircase of climbing steps in jumping motion
- Do not go wild with your running sessions without consulting your trainer or start lifting heavy weights randomly with your legs
- Exercises that involve strengthening your knees should be done carefully
- Some knee exercises may not be right for you if you have a pre-existing knee problem. Talk it out to your trainer about the problem.
Lose that extra weight
Extra weight can increase your chances of having knee injury and bone diseases. When your upper body is heavy, it exerts pressure on your knees and legs, thereby reducing self balance and stability.
Strengthen your knees
Exercise is the only solution for it. But remember you need to do it in the right proportion and in the right technique to get the benefits. Exercises help relieve the tension from muscles and tendons, making them strong and flexible.
- You must warm up before exercise. Get into jogging or slow running for 15 minutes to make your knee muscles flexible
- Perform stretching exercises for your hamstrings and calf muscles, do few leg raises, lunges, etc. to fortify your knees. But make sure not to overdo these exercises
- Learn the yoga postures that improve strength, flexibility and peripheral blood circulation
- Swimming and walking are also good for your knees, they have promising long term benefits on knees and legs
Wear proper shoes
High heels, though utmost fashionable they look, are the biggest enemies for your knees. Also remember to wear proper custom made shoes for walking, running or while exercising. For regular wear, opt for orthopaedic soles instead of heels. This way you can maintain proper balance and save yourself from tripping, falling and hurting your knees by all means.
Wear proper knee gears
Knee gears like knee cap or braces are available in sports stores or medical stores and wear them whenever you are performing any kind of activities involving your knees. Use it while dancing, running or playing volleyball, cricket, football, etc. The knee braces will protect your knees from injury even if you fall.
Rest your knees
After exercise or sports, you need to rest your knees. Sit calm and spread your legs in front of you to relax your knees. When you combine exercise and rest properly the health of knees is maintained.
Get enough vitamins and minerals
Knee problems can also result from lack of proper nutrition, the most common being lack of calcium in your diet. For this, you need to:
- You need to eat foods essentially rich in calcium and other minerals and vitamins like iron, magnesium, phosphorous, vitamin K.
- Lastly, allow your body to make enough vitamin D by basking in the sun.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: July 12, 2014