Irritable bowel syndrome, commonly referred as IBS, is a disorder in which intestines squeeze not hard enough or too hard enough to cause food to move either too slowly or too quickly through intestines. The disorder is greatly experienced by women after attaining the age of 20 years. As per the reports of National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease, NIH “1 in 5 Americans exhibit symptoms of IBS”.
Causes and Symptoms of IBS
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Bloating and gas
- Strong urge to have a bowel movement
Fortunately, painful condition of irritable bowel syndrome can be treated effectively by consuming healthy diet.
Consuming healthy and nutritious diet, avoiding foods that make symptoms worse, etc are considered as some of the best ways of treating the disorder effectively. Diet that is recommended for getting rid from IBS includes:
- High fiber rich diet
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Beans like kidney beans and lima beans
- Whole-grain breads and cereals
Needless to say, diet contributes significantly in relieving symptoms of the disorder. Foods that cause irritation or stimulation to the bowel should be avoided.
Certain foods that flare-up irritable bowel syndrome’s symptoms are summarized below:
- Alcohol and carbonated drinks
- Fried foods
- Citrus fruits
- Red meats
- Gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley and rye)
- Artificial sweeteners (things like sorbitol and aspartame)
- Dairy products
- Caffeine (found in coffee, tea and soda.)
- Any foods that are high in fat and sugar
Irritable bowel syndrome is a gastrointestinal functional disorder that shows symptoms like bloating, constipation, diarrhea, etc. The disorder can be treated in the best manner by taking high fiber rich diet and avoiding certain sets of foods.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: September 30, 2012