Angioplasty is a procedure to dilate clogged arteries by inserting balloons or stents inside in order to reestablish normal circulation of blood.
Research studies have shown that patients who underwent angioplasty have shown improvement in their life and activity in the long run. Doctors offer suggestions to modify diet and lifestyle to improve blood circulation in arteries.
In the next content we have provided you a guide to living with angioplasty
Control of cholesterol
To know that your cholesterol levels are absolutely normal, you need to get it checked often. Apart from taking your medicines regularly, you can achieve this by following the diet and exercise advised by your doctor.
Exercise tips after angioplasty
Your doctor will decide when you are fit to start exercising because you need rest in the post operative period.
Aerobic exercises are beneficial for your heart and you go for walking, mild jogging, cycling and swimming. Remember the following tips before working out:
- Carry water. Keep your system hydrated throughout the period of activity
- 3-5 minute warm up sessions add flexibility to your body. You can stretch your body
- Begin slowly, take breaks in between and then catch up the pace
- Cool down your body by sitting on a chair and breathe
If you experience great deal of fatigue, shortness of breath and palpitations, then stop exercising immediately and call for emergency help.
Cardiac rehab program
Your doctor might advice you to join cardiac rehab program to receive long term health benefits. It would be a holistic program involving exercise, diet, counseling and motivation to boost your heart health.
Diet after angioplasty
The goal of angioplasty is to eliminate the risk factors of heart attack. Once your blood circulation is reestablished, you have to take care of your diet to prevent a future complication. Immediately after surgery, you will be on clear liquid diet for a few hours and then at home you must follow the diet chart as explained by your doctor.
Remember the following tips regarding your diet
- Your daily intake of sodium should be within the range 1500 – 2300 mg daily. Cook foods with less salt and opt for low sodium salt for regular use
- The key towards healthy heart is- to consume foods low in trans fat, saturated fats and cholesterol. To make up for your daily requirement of fats choose healthy varieties like lean meat, fat free dairy and omega 3 sources like olive oil, almonds, walnuts, cashews, river water fish, etc.
Control other factors that pose a threat to your arteries
- Lose weight- at least 5-10% of your total body weight and make sure it’s within a healthy range
- Quit smoking by all means and cut down on alcohol consumption
- Keep an account of your blood pressure and sugar levels and make sure they are within normal range
- Try meditation and get on with your hobbies to manage stress. Focus towards a happy and healthy life
Medicines and appointments
Make sure you are taking your medicines as recommended by your doctor. Patients are generally given blood thinners for a year. If in doubt, consult your doctor before altering the course or stopping the pills.
Quality of life after angioplasty
Doctors believe that the procedure of stents aims towards blessing individuals with a better life with a healthy heart. Once you achieve the desired amount of physical fitness and all your vital parameters are normalized your personal life and relationships also unleash freshness and energy. Not to miss out, an individual’s sex life also improves.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: October 16, 2014