- Chew a small handful of carom or caraway seeds after your meals. They enhance digestion and combat formation of wind inside your stomach.
- Soak fennel seeds overnight in water and drink the water next day. Continue the treatment till you observe improvement. You can also chew a few fennel seeds to get instant relief.
- You can also chew some cardamom or clove after meal to stop formation of gas.
- Have a mint drink once a day. You can blend mint with lemon or ginger based beverages also. Mint candies also would also help you.
- Have plain soda water whenever you sense flatulence. The carbon dioxide in soda helps to release the gas.
Diet and lifestyle changes to deal with flatulence
You must check out the foods that you are consuming. Eating too much gas causing foods can lead to indigestion and flatulence. Furthermore, you lifestyle also contributes to flatulence. Therefore, the following corrections are needed:
- Reduce intake of gas causing foods like red meat, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, radish, sprouts, broccoli, legumes, apples, pears, and deep fried foods.
- Eat foods that are easily digested. It includes white rice, cooked potatoes, and plenty of fermented foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, etc.
- Eat whole grains moderately as they are high in fibres and can trigger flatulence.
- Milk can also be a problem for many. If you are lactose intolerant, then you should not drink milk as it would make your flatulence worse.
- Eat small meals. People who eat heavy meals each time and stuff their stomach with junks are more likely to suffer from flatulence.
- Get your body moving at least for 15 minutes or more in a day. A brisk walking or any form of exercise would prevent flatulence
- Try the Pavanmuktasana yoga postures to improve your digestion along with other anti-bloating poses like tree pose, mountain pose, half moon pose etc. with the help of a trainer.
- Avoid constipation. If you are constipated then flatulence is inevitable. So make it a ritual to get your system cleared every day.
- Do gulp down water immediately after a meal. Wait for half an hour and then drink slowly without raising the bottle from your mouth. This prevents inhalation of air.
- Cut down your daily smoking rate.
- Avoid taking dietary supplements, especially those containing calcium when flatulence is bothersome for you.
Never sleep immediately after eating. Wait for at least 2 hours for the food to get settled.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: june 19, 2014