Home remedies for earache
Earache is a painful condition that can be experienced by anyone. It takes away your concentration, disrupts your sleep and affects eating. Sometimes the condition is not so severe that you need to rush to a doctor. Instead you can try the home remedies for one or two days to get the much needed immediate relief.
We explain the home remedies for earache over here.
Application of Heat on earache
Heat treatment is a wonderful remedy for earache. There are several ways to apply heat.
- You can use a heating pad or immerse a regular cloth in hot water and compress the ear with it.
- You can warm salt on a pan, wrap it in a cloth and then feel it in the ear for some time. Do this several times in a day.
- You can also place a warm water bottle around your ear
However, make sure the heat doesn’t burn your skin. Sense it in your palm before accessing the ear.
The magic of different kinds of oils in vanishing earache
Oils are excellent pain relievers because they aid in melting hardened wax inside the ear. Once it comes out, your earache vanishes. It’s also an effective preventive measure for swimmers’ ear syndrome.
- Warm mineral oil and use a dropper to drop it inside the ear. This remedy suits kids as well as adults.
- The goodness of mustard oil is known to alleviate earache since ages. Warm it and pour few drops in the affected ear.
- Cinnamon oil, Bishop’s weed oil, castor oil, peppermint oil and sesame oil also have promising benefits on earache. Heat it mildly before dropping inside your ear
- You can mix olive oil and Lobelia oil or use olive oil alone. Soak a cotton ball in the oil and plug it mildly in the ear. You can also pour the oil with a dropper.
Herbal Therapies for earache
The anti-inflammatory action of herbs work wonders on earache. It fights the infection and provides considerable relief in no time.
- Juice out the ginger and apply it directly in the affected ears. You can also mix it with lukewarm sesame oil. Allow the concoction to stay for some time.
- Grind basil leaves to form a paste. Strain it to separate the juice. Put this juice inside the ear.
- Onion is a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-septic that gives you relief from pain in ears. Crush fresh onion slices and wrap in a semi porous cotton cloth. Compress your ears for 5-10 minutes.
- Juices or extracts of peppermint, licorice, goldenseal, astragalus, Echinacea and mango leaves combat ear infections and act as pain killers for earache. You can easily get them in herbal stores
- Pour a few drops of apple cider vinegar inside the affected ear and let it stay for 5-10 minutes
Some dos and don’ts to remember
- Take rest. Cover your ears while sleeping to protect it from cold air. Keep the AC off. Make sure it doesn’t get pressed against the pillow.
- Be very careful while taking bath. Try to keep the ear dry and do not allow water to settle in.
- Do not use ear buds or plugs to clean your ear during the infection.
- Make yourself naturally immune to ear infections by eating foods rich in vitamin C, zinc and omega-3-fatty acids.
Try these home remedies carefully and do not mess up while applying the ingredients inside your ear. If the earache persists for 2 days or more, then check with an ENT specialist.
Date last updated: January 17, 2015