Probiotics and Colon Health
Much has been said about probiotics and their health benefits. Sometimes we make a mistake of consuming the supplements without knowing the purpose behind adding them in our system. So first we shall explain you what are probiotics.
Probiotics are live bacteria that bring about certain health benefits to the host. They are the “good” bacteria that maintain a proper microbial balance in the intestine and colon, reduce blood pressure and improve immunity of your body. Since, we are focussing on probiotics and their impact on colon health, the information will revolve around this topic.
Which Probiotics improve colon health?
The two strains that quintessentially improve colon health are:
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus plantarum
- Others that improve the gut flora can also influence colon health are:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Streptococcus thermophilus
How Probiotics Work for Colon?
The intestinal ecosystem is a repository of good as well as bad bacteria and their balance is important. When we consume spicy foods, junks, sweets everyday in large portions, these bad bacteria become more powerful, aiding in accumulation of free radicals and toxins in our body. Then body is unable to get rid of the toxins and they get absorbed in by the blood. This further affects enzyme activity and causes severe problems in the colon, like burning, itching, inflammation, etc. It also gives rise to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- A colon cleanse with probiotics is then suggested to get rid of such discomforts. They help regain the balance of the intestinal flora, ward off the toxins and waste materials trapped in the colon and cleanse the system completely.
- The bacteria produce inhibitory compounds, like bacteriocins and they form substrates (sugars, fatty acids, undigested carbs etc.) that enhance growth of colonizing microbes
- Probiotics also evoke immune responses against harmful microbes in the colon.
Results of Probiotics on Colon Health
Probiotics bring about the following improvements in the colon
- Protect from irritable bowel syndrome
- Increases immunity of colon, protects from colitis
- Relieves from constipation
- Eradicates allergy, inflammation and toxins
- The good bacteria aids in proper digestion; henceforth smooth bowel movement
How to Maintain Colon Health with Natural Probiotics?
- Eat foods rich in soluble fibers like oats, fruits, vegetables, etc. These foods multiply the population of good bacteria in the colon
- Have yogurt and cultured milk products like kefir and buttermilk
- Consume probiotic dairy drinks regularly.
- Fermented foods like fresh miso, tempeh, sauerkraut and kimchi. You can also have nutritional supplements containing these ingredients.
Apart from these natural sources you, can also take supplements that come in the form of capsules, powders, tablets, etc. You must go for a medical check up on noticing any kind of problems in colon. However, these probiotics are harmless and can be taken in moderation. It’s always safe to consult a doctor before popping any pills and supplements.
Written by: Saptakee sengupta
Date last updated: January 03, 2015