Common types of intestinal and stomach worms and their spread
- Roundworm: They come inside you via undercooked, stale and contaminated food, faecal matter and touching pets and reside inside small intestine. Children are more vulnerable to infection than adults.
- Tapeworm: Raw meat or eating undercooked fish, pork or beef is the main source of tapeworms and they settle down in lower part of your intestine. It can also pass on to others if cook food without wiping your hands well after defecation
- Whipworm: It is a type of roundworm that dwells in your large intestine. Mostly, children get this infection from contaminated soil. It gets inside the body through mouth.
- Pinworm: It’s the most notorious group of worms. The female lay eggs in the rectal area and if an individual scratches the anus, then it can spread very easily through fingers, clothes, dust and everything. They can enter your body via nose and mouth also.
- Others: Hookworms and threadworms can also enter your stomach and intestine through feet.
Risk factors include
- Poor hygiene and sanitation facilities. Dwellers in such places are highly vulnerable
- Handling raw meat and not cleaning hands.
- Drinking and consuming contaminated foods
- Visiting butcher’s shop, medical labs, health care sectors with poor hygiene
- Touching pets and not washing hands. Sharing food with pets
Symptoms of intestinal and stomach worms
- Stomach pain and cramping
- Itching of rectal area accompanied by rashes
- Poor digestion
- Itching in the soles of feet
- Nausea, vomiting, salivating, tiredness and weakness
- Noticeable loss of weight or inability to maintain healthy weight
- Loose motions or diarrhoea, dysentery
- Passing warms in your stool
Diagnosis of intestinal and stomach worms
Your doctor will certainly evaluate the symptoms, manually feel your stomach, and check your lifestyle, habits, food, and overall hygiene. Your weight will also be measured.
You have to undergo stool test for this condition and your doctor will let you know how to conduct it and the preparations that might be needed.
Another test designed for figuring out pinworms is- Scotch tape test. The tape is touched in the anus several times and is then observed under microscope.
Treatment of intestinal worms
There are pills for killing harmful intestinal worms and your doctor will determine the dosing. Needless to say, homeopathic treatment works wonder for parasitic worms, both for children and adults.
Home remedies for intestinal and stomach worms
- ALWAYS clean your hands with antiseptic after handling meat, before eating and after toilet. No compromise on this habit and make sure you educate your kids regarding the importance of personal hygiene and sanitation.
- An age old and brilliant remedy for intestinal worms is food grade diatomaceous earth. You can mix one teaspoon with water and have it daily for a week for best results
- Consume neem, bitter-gourd, garlic, ginger, thyme, cloves, pomegranate, papaya, flaxseeds, etc. on regular basis as they have the potential to clean your stomach from worms.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: August 23, 2014