Healthy Food Minimizes the Risk of Pre Diabetes
Pre diabetes is a metabolic condition in which blood sugar levels becomes higher than the required level, but not high enough for considering them as type 2 diabetes. It is a stage in between diabetes and normal stage. As per the reports of American Academy of Pediatrics “1 out of every 25 females and 1 out of every 10 males of age group 12-19 years have become victims of pre diabetes”.
One of the most common causes of the condition is inability of pancreas to produce enough insulin. Staying of glucose in the bloodstream, cells becoming resistant to insulin, hereditary, poor diet, obesity, etc are some other causes of the condition.
Signs and Symptoms
Normally, the condition does not have any symptoms. However, in some cases people experience symptoms like excessive thirst or hunger, blurred vision, frequent urination, dark patches on the skin, etc
Risk related with pre-diabetes
Some of the common risks associated with pre diabetes include transfer of the diabetes in sibling or next generation, high blood pressure, occurrence of cardiovascular disease, obesity, etc.
Pre diabetes can be treated effectively through following measures:
- Making healthy food choices- Consuming right kind of diet is a requisite condition for treating pre diabetes. Avoiding foods that are rich in sugar, carbohydrates, fat, etc and consuming foods that are high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, etc helps in treating the condition within specific time frame. Foods like carrots, green beans, dried beans, whole grains, brown rice, etc are good to eat. Stay away from beverages and foods that have high sugar content and in place of them drink lot of water and other non-fat dairy products.
- Exercise- Exercising for remaining physically active is another sure-fire way of treating the condition. Do get indulge in any physical activity whichever you like the most. Brisk walking, jogging, climbing stairs, etc are some of the most recommended ways of indulging in some sort of physical activities. Inculcating a habit of morning walk, for 30 minutes, 5 days in a week, helps significantly in getting respite from the condition.
- Maintaining ideal body weight- Those persons who are obese find it difficult to cope up with pre-diabetes. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain ideal body weight in order to not to get affected from conditions like pre-diabetes and obesity. For reducing weight, consume diet and make exercise schedule as per dietician and health professional’s recommendation.
- Medications- Sometimes, health professional suggests medications for treating the condition. Medications like Glucophage, Precose, etc are given for controlling sugar level. In many cases, medications are given for controlling cholesterol level and high blood pressure.
By following the aforementioned treatments, the condition can be treated easily and quickly.
A fact important to disclose is pre diabetes is a condition that can recur. Therefore, by following prevention measures one can minimize its risk.
- Life style modification- By making slight yet significant changes in the lifestyle, risk of getting affected from the condition can be minimized greatly. Changes that are needed to incorporate include performing exercises, eating healthy diets, etc.
So, make changes in the daily routine for leading a healthy and prosperous life.
Summary- Pre diabetes is a reversible condition that can be treated effectively by making necessary change in the lifestyle. Eating right kind of diet, maintaining ideal body weight, remaining physically active, etc are some of the best ways of treating the condition.
Date last updated: April 12, 2015