The movement of bowel in your large intestine is controlled to a large extent by what you eat. People who do not eat enough fibre are most likely to suffer from constipation. This is because the stool hardens sans fibres, which further complicates normal bowel movements. Therefore, you need to consume those foods that help to relieve constipation.
The best constipation relieving foods are:
From the fruit plate
Fruits are the best sources of dietary fibres. To name a few, prunes, pears, kiwi, papaya, figs, and guava are the best choices to ward off constipation. Another magical fruit for constipation is the bael fruit or wood apple. Popular largely in India, the juice or the ripe pulp of the fruit is excellent for resolving bowel problems. If you are juicing out the fruits, do not discard the fibre because the fibre only softens your stool.
From the vegetable basket
All leafy greens are constipation relievers. Start having spinach, broccoli, lettuce, celery, asparagus, and sweet potatoes. Beans are also excellent sources of fibres. Consume raw (soaked in water or sprouts) or baked versions of lima beans, kidney beans, black eyed beans along with some green peas. Have this for or snacks to get considerable relief from constipation.
Nuts and dry fruits are also enriched with fibres. Apricots, raisins, dates, dried prunes, etc. are excellent remedy for constipation. Prunes can offer you instant relief because apart from fibres, they contain natural sorbitol, which acts as a laxative. Pop in nuts, preferably peanuts and almonds during your snack time to solve constipation problems.
Stay away from refined products and make a choice for healthy whole grains. Kick off your mornings with a bowl of oats with warm milk and fruits to ease on bowels. You can have multigrain bread, wheat germ, wheat flakes, muesli, and whole wheat pasta. You can also prepare rolls and tortillas at home with buckwheat flour or whole-meal rye flour, instead of refined flour. Avoid having white rice for dinner.
- Drink plenty of water to allow the fibre rich foods to form bulk properly. Lack of water will worsen the problem
- You can also have a certain amount of psyllium husk along with water, everyday to get rid of constipation
- The American Dietetic Association recommends, “25 grams of fibre for women and up to 38 grams for men, everyday” to get rid of constipation”.
Only knowing the foods that relieve constipation is not enough because you need to essentially avoid eating those varieties that harden your stool.
- Cut down on red meat, like beef, mutton as well as other sources of animal fibre. You can have fresh water fish.
- Avoid eating un-ripened green bananas
- Cut down consumption of dairy products- ice creams, cottage cheese, cheese, etc.
- Say no to fast foods prepared from refined flour, fries and frozen foods
- Avoid caffeinated beverages
So plan your diet properly and get your body moving to get over your constipation problem!
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: April 06, 2014