Alternative Treatment for Chikungunya
Chikungunya is a viral disease that spreads through Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus bite. It leads to sever pain in joints, nausea, fever, skin rash and severe headache.
There is no medical treatment for chikungunya and all one can do is take paracetamol or acetaminophen for the fever and joint pain. The rash and skin irritation can be treated with moisturizing creams, calamine lotion and mineral oils. However, in order to ease the pain and irritation, one can try alternative treatment for chikungunya. These home remedies will provide some relief to the excruciating pain experienced on your joints and other body parts.
Effective Home Remedies for Chikungunya
There are many Ayurvedic treatments for chikungunya. Let us have a look at some of this alternative treatment for chikungunya that will provide relief to the sufferer.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant and has an anti-inflammatory effect. Just add turmeric to your diet or drink a warm glass of turmeric milk to combat the effects of chikungunya.
- Ginger is another super herb that helps treat the pain due to chikungunya. Ginger has an analgesic effect and is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. Thus, helping one reduce the pain and swelling the most natural way.
- Make a paste of garlic or clove oil and pepper. Apply this paste on the painful joints and wrap the area well. This local application will provide relief from the severe pain due to chikungunya.
- One can take a warm bath by adding Epsom salt mixed with neem leaves to get some relief from the swelling and pain.
- Raw carrots help one increase their immune resistance to the virus. Thus, munch on some fresh, raw carrots to boost your immunity. You can even drink fresh carrot juice to help minimize your joint pains.
- Basil leaves help reduce fever and increase immunity. Boil some water with basil leaves and drink this concoction for some relief.
- Chew on some seedless dry grapes along with milk to get some quick relief from the symptoms of chikungunya.
- Include citrus fruits in your diet as they contain vitamin C. Vitamin C helps boost the activity of vitamin E that helps in reducing the swelling and pain due to chikungunya. Also, citrus fruits are full of antioxidants that help neutralize free radicals and reduce cellular damage due to fever.
- Leafy green vegetables are rich in vitamin E, iron and minerals. They also contain antioxidants that helps improve cell reparation and restoration. They minimize cell damage due to free radicals and reduce the effects of fatigue greatly.
- The best natural remedy to get some relief from symptoms of chikungunya and dehydration due to fever is drinking coconut water. It helps detoxify the liver, minimize the pain, improve the health of the liver and overcome dehydration.
- Papaya leaves are said to be very effective in treatment of chikungunya. Take young leaves of papaya plant and blend them into juice. Strain the juice and drink it for quick relief. As papaya leaf juice is very bitter, one can add some lemon, honey or ginger to make the taste more palatable. Children can be given 2 to 4 teaspoons of the juice. Drinking a few gulps of the juice will do, if one cannot drink the whole cup.
These are some of the alternative treatments for chikungunya. Many people recover from the symptoms within a few months. However, the pain and swelling may last for a few months or even years. Consult with a medical professional and simultaneously try these alternative treatments for chikungunya.