How exercise induces asthma?
This is an important information for all asthma patients. The condition- exercise-induced brochospasm, then you have to be extra cautious. Such people have over sensitive airways, so when they inhale through mouth, the unfiltered air irritates the airways, thereby inducing asthma.
You need to know the signs if your exercise has triggered the asthma and they are:
- Gasping for breath or shortness of breath
- Hear that typical wheezing sound in your chest
- Tightness or pressure in your chest
- Difficulty in speaking due to breathing trouble
Things to consider before exercising with asthma
- Talk to your doctor whether you can exercises or not. If yes, then what kind of exercise should you to and what to avoid. Your physiotherapist would teach you the techniques
- Mostly importantly, always keep the rescue inhaler with you no matter you are working out at home, gym or outdoors
- Make sure the environment where you exercise is free from asthma triggers like dust, cold air, per dander, etc.
- If you start sensing the symptoms, stop exercising right away. You can use spray the inhaler if needed. Consult your doctor and listen to what he says.
- Before you exercise, always begin with warm up activities and then gradually move on to the core regimen. Cool down your body properly once it’s over.
Exercises for asthma
One of the most useful exercises for asthma patients is walking. You can step in an environment friendly atmosphere to receive the good benefits of walking.
Your breathing is manipulated in many different ways while performing stretching which in a way is good for your lungs. Therefore, try stretching exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
Hire a professional trainer who is prudent in the art of healing techniques. Learn the yoga poses and breathing techniques or Pranayamas that miraculously heal asthma.
If you love some outdoor sports or activities like swimming, golfing, hockey, running, hiking, etc. then you need to seek permission from your doctor and also educate yourself about the impact of those exercises on your asthma.
Mistakes to avoid while exercising with asthma
- Do not walk heavily over the treadmill or perform heavy cardio exercises.
- Always maintain a slow pace while working out along with uniform breathing
- Do not compete with others while working out simply because you have asthma
- If you forget to carry the inhaler, get back home take it and then exercise
- Never use gears or pools piled up with dust and chlorine, respectively.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: june 19, 2014