Alternative therapy for asthma
Many people believe in alternative therapies despite the fact that they are not as effective as medicines! However, these complementary therapies work to a certain extent to reduce the episodes of flare ups and enhance immunity of the body. Here we give you information on alternative therapy for asthma.
Acupuncture for asthma
Acupuncture is a popular alternative treatment which is touted to bring about the necessary improvement in asthma patients. Therapists pierce needles in different parts of the body to enhance its self defence and immune power. Depending upon the degree of asthma, your doctor will schedule sessions.
Ayurveda for asthma
Ancient Indians, Chinese and Japanese believed in the power of herbs as a cure to asthma. Some noted herbs that bring about improvement in the condition of the airway and boost immunity of the body are Coleus Forskholii, Ma Huang (also known as Ephedra), Lobelia, Reishi mushroom, and Glycyrriza (Licorice) and Ginko biloba.
There are some very important facts to consider before taking herbs which essentially are:
- Never take herbs or their supplements on your own
- Always tell your doctor about your medical history
- Make sure your doctor knows what medicines and other supplements you are taking
- Follow the dose exactly as prescribed
Homeopathy certainly has proven benefits on asthma. You can visit a reputed practitioner for this purpose. The best thing about homeopathy is – it is free from side effects, there’s no pain of swallowing bitter medicines and the treatment is designed after taking detailed case history of the patient. It works very well on childhood asthma. Once you have started the treatment, make sure you continue until you notice improvement. Patience is another thing you need to see the fruits of the homeopathy.
However, you should not self medicate even though there’re ample information scattered around the web and books.
Yoga – mind body healing
Yoga is not just an exercise. In fact if you believe in the science behind yoga and the different techniques then you are bound to experience improvement in your breathing and immunity. It’s simply a mind body healthy therapy that you have to practise religiously.
Practise breathing techniques like anulom vilom (alternate nostril breathing), Ujjayi Pranayama (ocean breathing), Kapalabhati pranayam, Shitali Shitkari, diaphragmatic breathing and certainly normal breathing. You can hire a trainer for this purpose. Also combine meditation along with yoga.
Buteyko Breathing Technique (BBT)
BBT is a complimentary therapy with was invented by Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko, A Ukrainian doctor. According to him, “BBT is a series of reduced-breathing exercises that focus on nasal-breathing, breath-holding and relaxation”. Simply put, it helps people to gain better control over their breathing and thereby reduces hyperventilation, wheezing and shortness of breath.
You can enrol yourself in centres or hire a trainer specialized in Buteyko Breathing Technique to improve your asthma.
Simple and effective home remedies
Apart from the aforementioned strategies you can try the following things at home to manage asthma:
- Know your triggers – they could be pet dander, pollens, dust, food, etc. Avoid getting exposed to such things and proof your house from such triggers
- If you aren’t taking any herbal supplements then you can have this concoction every morning- take a handful of tulsi (holy basil) leaves, grind them with a teaspoon of honey and add half teaspoon of ginger juice.
- Protect yourself from cold. If you are asthmatic then cold will aggravate it very intensely. One way to boost your immunity is- take vitamin C supplement daily or increase intake of foods containing vitamin C
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: December 29, 2014