Tips for managing knee arthritis
Be it rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis in your knees – you will experience lot of pain if you do not take steps to manage it. Since, arthritis has no permanent cure, the best ways to reduce flare ups and infections and improve health of your bones is through exercise and leading a healthy lifestyle.
Heat and cold therapies
Heat and cold, both are useful for arthritis pain on knees. If you observe considerable soreness and warmth in and around your knees then go for cold compress. Dip your knees in ice chilled water or take compress with ice bags everyday for 10 minutes to get over the painful symptoms.
Heat reduces swelling and pain. It also boosts mobility of your joints. The best way to do is – dip your legs up to your knees in a bucket full of warm water. You can add some rock salt to it. The other option is to take compress with hot water bag which is equally useful.
Get moving and moving
If you want to be benefitted in the long run then you have to keep yourself moving and there’s no alternative to it. However, take rest when the pain flares up and get back on your feet when you feel better. So what can you do on daily basis to manage knee arthritis?
- Do not lie on bed always. Move around in your house for household jobs like day to cleaning and dusting
- Walking is a must, in fact the best way to manage pain. Wear comfortable shoes and walk at a moderate pace for 15-30 min every day.
At the same time it’s important to strike a proper balance. Simply put, do not overdo and stress your knees.
Exercises that you can do
Low impact exercises work best on knee pain due to arthritis. First ask your doctor about the exercises that would be suitable for you and then incorporate them in your daily regime.
We have selected some options here:
Yoga- There are numerous therapeutic techniques that help release the stiffness from the knees. To name a few tadasana, makrasana, and veerasana are beneficial for knees. Also combine prayanama with your yoga schedule to boost your immunity.
Aerobics- Stick to low impact moves like slow dancing. Another brilliant therapy is – water walking. You can do this daily in your swimming pool.
Day to day exercises- The very basic exercise for arthritic pain in knees- tighten and relax. Sit on the floor and stretch your legs. Now make your knees tight and then release. Do this 20-30 times daily to notice improvement in flexibility
Physiotherapy sessions- Fix a physiotherapist for teaching you the exercises that would improve strength and flexibility in your knees. You will learn a wide range of motion exercises which is indeed immensely effective. So be regular with your sessions.
Some more tips to manage knee arthritis
- Your lifestyle matters too. Cut down on smoking and drinking. Eat healthy diet- full of antioxidant rich fresh vegetables and fruits. You can have lean meat but avoid red meat as much as possible.
- Lose weight if you are overweight. The more you lose weight the better your improvement.
- Get enough sleep, meditate and relax for your mental and physical wellness.
- Lastly, your doctor shall prescribe you medicines. So make sure you take them regularly.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: December 22, 2014