Characteristic symptoms sinus headache
- You will experience dull and throbbing pain in your forehead and as well as face and cheeks.
- The pain would tend to increase while bending or dropping your head or while lying down.
Since it’s a kind of infection, you are most likely to experience nasal congestion, sore throat, cough, fever and lack of taste in your mouth. The discomfort along with headache would be the most in the morning.
Causes of sinus headache
As the name suggests, sinus headache is an outcome of sinus inflammation or sinusitis. The risk factors are quite obviously microbial infections like common cold, viral fever, allergies, etc.
The sinuses drain via channels present in your nose, which get blocked due to accumulation of mucus. As a result the pressure inside your sinuses increase which leads to headache. Structural deformity in nose can also trigger sinus headache.
When to see doctor?
If you already have a problem with sinusitis and weak immune system then sinus headaches will occur whenever you are infected. Thus, check with your doctor to know how to manage such type of headache.
Diagnosis of sinus headache
To rule out that your headache is associated with sinus your doctor will evaluate the symptoms and feel your sinuses manually for inflammation and tenderness.
Furthermore, if you have medical history of sinusitis, cold and cough or weak immunity, then you might have to undergo CT scan or MRI of your head. Furthermore, nasal endoscopy might be performed to look for blockages and mucus samples might be collected for bacterial culture.
Treatment of sinus headache
The treatment is directed towards managing the underlying cause. Your doctor would give you OTC pain killers to reduce the headache. Otherwise, antibiotics are usually prescribed for infections.
Other lines of management depending upon the symptoms include cough syrups, nasal decongestants and antihistamines. Your headaches will reduce once the inflammation goes away.
If structural problem in your nose is causing too much problems in your sinuses then surgery might be performed to correct it. Your sinus headaches would disappear afterwards.
However, we insist you to not pop in painkillers randomly for your frequent sinus headaches. Instead you can take some preventive measures to stay away from infections and try home remedies to get relief from headache.
Home remedies for sinus headache
Before your headache attack gets worse and out of control, start following home remedies we explained below.
- You tend to feel extremely sloppy when you have sinus headache. So have refreshing beverages like coffee, black tea, ginger and clove tea and green tea.
- Increase your intake of fluids by drinking warm water, different kinds of soups and fresh fruit juices. This will help in drainage of mucus and open the blocked channels
- Inhale steam from a bowl. You can add some mint leaves or herbal balm to the boiling water and inhale its vapors. Try this twice a day to get quick relief
- Always keep herbal decongestants and anti headache balm with yourself. You can apply them over your forehead and neck before consuming pain killers.
Apart from this, you need to take care of yourself to lower chances of sinus infections. Get an immune booster diet from your doctor and take necessary precautions from cold and infections to avoid undergoing painful episodes of sinus headaches.
Written by: healthplus24.com team
Date last updated: September 07, 2014