Exercises while working at your desk
Sitting at desk and working before the computer at a long stretch can give rise to aching muscles in different parts of the body. Your health is further aggravated if you maintain an incorrect posture. Well, you may be hell busy to leave your work station for 5-10 minutes to take a stroll outside; in that case you can try out some simple and easy exercises at your desk itself.
Exercises for the neck
Your neck becomes stiff when look into the computer continuously. To avoid that, you can try the following sets of neck exercises, 5 times each.
- Move the neck to forward and then pull it backward.
- Rotate your neck to form a complete circle clockwise and then anticlockwise very slowly. Do not rush.
- Sit straight. Look in the front and raise your neck upwards. Bring your neck down gently.
Exercises for eyes
Have you realised how much your eyes are strained when you work for long hours before the computer? Yes, so you need to relax and rest your eyes. We tell you how...
- Close your eyes for 10 seconds, then open them. Repeat it for a minute.
- Rub both the palms together until you feel slight heat. Cup your palm on your eyes
- Rotate your eyeballs in clockwise and anti clockwise direction, 10 times each.
- Blink continuously for 10 seconds. Rest for 5 minutes then blink again.
Exercises for wrist, toes and fingers
Avoid stiffening of wrist, toes and fingers while working at desk with the following exercises:
- Stretch your hands. Pack a punch and rotate your wrist in clockwise and anti clockwise direction.
- Keep your hands straight. Curl and release your fingers for 10-20 times.
- Extend your legs at your knees and rotate your feet in clockwise and then anticlockwise direction for 10 times.
Exercises for Arms and Shoulder
Your arms and shoulder lose flexibility when you sit and work in the same posture for hours after hours. So try these exercises whenever you can spare some time.
- Extend your arms from both the sides and lift them upwards to give a clap. Release the arms and repeat 5 times
- Bring your hands forward. Fold your arms at your elbows towards the shoulder. Let your fingers touch the shoulder. Now rotate (form circle) your folded hands in the front of your chest in clockwise then anti clockwise direction, 5 times etc. Try to touch one elbow against the other while making the circle.
- Form a big circle sideways by rotating your hands, one at each time in clockwise and anticlockwise direction, 5 times each.
Exercises for Back
Maintaining the correct posture while working solves most of the back problems. Nevertheless you can try the following exercise:
- Bend your back and let your temple touch your knees and hands your feet. Hold on for 5-10 seconds and raise your body. Do it gently for 2-3 times.
Exercises for Abdomen
You must try the following desk exercises for your abdomen while working to prevent accumulation of fat in your tummy. You can do it as many times you can.
- Raise your toes, inhale air and pull in your abdominal muscles. Hold it for 5 seconds and release your breath and rest your feet.
- Kapalabhati – powerful inhaling and exhaling air while releasing and pulling in the abdominal muscles, respectively.
You can incorporate all the aforementioned exercises at your desk itself; you don’t need leave your workstation. However, whenever you take breaks, make sure you stretch your body for 3-4 minutes and then get back to work.
Date last updated: January 17, 2015