First Aid for Nausea And Vomiting
General Overview about Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are considered as some of the most common symptoms of variety of medical conditions like food poisoning, morning sickness, infection, etc. Nausea can be described as uneasy and unpleasant feeling in throat or stomach that usually results in vomiting. These symptoms are common and can affect people of any age-group. Easily manageable at home, rarely these symptoms lead to any life-threatening problems.
First Aid for Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting go away quickly, if following first aid is provided to sufferer:
- Hydrating body with clear liquids like herbal tea, clear soup, juice, etc. works wonder in treating vomiting. Intake of fluids help in correcting electrolyte imbalance which occurs due to excessive vomiting. Initially, fluids should be taken in small sips and then increase it to 4 to 8 ounces at a time.
- Drinking ginger tea helps in settling the stomach and thereby eases nausea.
- Do not give milk and any dairy products as they can worsen vomiting and nausea. Similarly, do not replace fluids or electrolytes with cola, tea or sports drink.
- After 24 hours of taking fluids, start with some soft food items like oatmeal, yogurt, gelatin, etc. It is advise to avoid spicy or fatty foods for certain days.
- Peppermint oil is found effective in the treatment of nausea and vomiting and so affected people can use it in different forms. Right from using it in capsule form to take as candy to adding one drop of oil in sugar cube and inhale it, the intake of oil will provide great relief to the people.
- Lastly, take adequate rest, as too much exertion might result in making situation worse.
When to see doctor
It is important to seek medical attention in case nausea and vomiting show warning signals of chest pain, severe abdominal pain, fainting, high fever, vomiting accompanied by blood and if it lasts for more than two days, etc.
Vomiting during pregnancy
Written by: healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 02, 2015