What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Zolinox tab [Ranbaxy (Solus)]
Zonap tab [Unichem]
Zopiclone is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Zopiclone pronounced as: ZOP-i-klone
What is zopiclone?
Zopiclone is a sedative/ hypnotic drug belonging to Benzodiazepine group.
Common uses of zopiclone
Zopiclone is used in the short term management of Insomnia (difficulty in falling sleep)
How to use zopiclone
- Take zopiclone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take zopiclone just before going to bed. It is very essential that you have uninterrupted sleep for at least 6-8hrs.
- Avoid taking heavy/ fatty meals 2 hrs before taking zopiclone medication as it decreases its absorption making it less effective.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor as it may lead to drug- dependence.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking zopiclone without consulting your doctor. As it may worsen insomnia (rebound Insomnia)
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Anti histamines like cetrizine, pheniramine etc
- Anti fungals like itraconazole, ketoconazole etc
- Anti convulsants like phenytoin. Phenobarbitone, carbamazepine
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Narcotic painkillers like pethidine, morphine etc
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Zopiclone should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Myasthenia gravis
- Liver disease
- Sleep apnea syndrome
- Lung diseases like asthsma, chronic bronchitis etc
- History of alcoholism or drug abuse
- Respiratory insufficiency
- Psychiatric disorder
Pregnant woman: Zopiclone belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that zopiclone may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether zopiclone passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take zopiclone with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Doses for zopiclone
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Zopiclone include
Zopiclone may cause following side effects
- Forgetfullness/ memory loss
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Complex sleep related behaviour like sleep walking/ driving
How do I store zopiclone?
Store zopiclone at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
- Zopiclone should be used only for short term management of sleeplessness. As it effectiveness decreases when used for a prolonged period and may also lead to drug dependence.
- Zopiclone causes dizziness, hang over and drowsiness as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks.
- Zopiclone should be withdrawn gradually as it may lead to worsening of insomnia (rebound insomnia) and behavioural changes.
- Always ensure that you get at least 6-8hrs of uninterrupted sleep after taking zopiclone otherwise it can lead to memory loss and hang over.
- Avoid alcohol as it may increase sedation due to zopiclone and may lead life threatening respiratory depression.
- Inform your doctor prior to any surgery regarding zopiclone medication as it may have to be stopped briefly before the procedure.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: July 03, 2012