What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Xipamide is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
What is xipamide?
Xipamide is a thiazide diuretic which helps in removing excess fluid from the body. Hence, it’s also known as “water-pill”.
Common uses of xipamide
Xipamide is used in treatment of Hypertension and excessive fluid retention due to congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, Nephrotic syndrome etc.
- Take xipamide exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water.
- Take xipamide preferably during daytime to avoid waking up during night for urination.
- Take plenty of oral fluids when on xipamide and avoid dehydration.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking xipamide without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulpha drugs like sulphamethoxazole, etc as it may cause allergic reaction in these patients also.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics like Gentamicin, erythromycin
- Antifundals like Amphotericin
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Indomethacin Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Xipamide should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Addison’s disease
- Liver disease like Cirrhosis
- benign Hypertrophy of prostrate
- Kidney disease
- Anuria( passing no urine at all)
- Electrolyte disturbance
- Gout / increased uric acid levels
Pregnant woman: Xipamide belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that xipamide is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether xipamide passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take xipamide with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
- Increase in frequency of urination more at night
How do I store xipamide?
Store xipamide at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Your doctor may prescribe potassium supplement along with xipamide medication as it depletes potassium from the body. Do not increase or decrease the dose without your doctor’s advice
- If you are diabetic on xipamide, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking xipamide.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: July 03, 2012