Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Cpressin pf-syringe (Samarth)
Petresin amp (SG pharma)
Vasopressin is a prescription medication available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Vasopressin is used to treat diabetes insipidus, to control variceal bleeding and for abdominal x-rays.
- Vasopressin injection should be administered by a healthcare professional under strict aseptic precautions.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Vasopressin without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- Antiboitics like demeclocycline
- anticoagulant ( heparin)
- Anti depressants like Amitriptyline, Amoxapine, imiprimine
- Anticonvulsant like Carbamazepine
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions, as Vasopressin should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Congestive heart failure
- Seizure disorder
- Coronary artery disease
- Renal disease
Pregnant woman: Vasopressin belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that vasopressin is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether vasopressin passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take vasopressin with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Vasopressin is available as injection and nasal spray. Your doctor will prescribe it depending on the condition.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of vasopressin are
Vasopressin may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if you notice following symptoms
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Oedema of feet , hand and legs
Store vasopressin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Vasopressin can cause temporary side effects like nausea, abdominal pain, blanching of skin following injection. Drink 1-2 glasses of water to help you relieve these symptoms.
- Monitor your fluid intake carefully. Avoid drinking too much or too little water.
- Avoid alcohol intake as it may increase side effects caused due to vasopressin.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: July 03, 2012