What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Relicalm tab (Reliance)
Trazine tab (Sun)
Trifluoperazine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Trifluoperazine pronounced as: trye floo oh PER a zeen
Common uses of trifluoperazine
Trifluoperazine is used in the short term management of anxiety and in the treatment of psychotic disorder like Schizophrenia, acute psychosis
- Take Trifluoperazine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take Trifluoperazine tablet with meals to avoid stomach upset at regular intervals for it to be effective.
- Trifluoperazine may take few weeks to show its beneficial effects. Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor as it may lead to drug- dependence.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Trifluoperazine without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Diuretics like furosemide etc
- Anti histamine like terbenafine, Astemizole
- Anti convulsants like phenytoin. Phenobarbitone, carbamazepine
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Anti hypertensive’s or other heart medication
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Trifluoperazine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bone marrow depression
- Benign hyperplasia of prostate
- Seizure disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
- Closed angle glaucoma
- Kidney or liver disease
Pregnant woman: Trifluoperazine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that trifluoperazine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether trifluoperazine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take trifluoperazine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Trifluoperazine causes giddiness, drowsiness and visual disturbances as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks.
Avoid drinking alcohol.
Trifluoperazine is available in the form of tablet.
Doses for trifluoperazine
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of Trifluoperazine include
- Uncontrolled movement of hand, legs, face, jaws
- Giddiness when getting up from sitting or lining down position
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Uncontrolled movements of the hands, legs, tongue, face
- Tremors, Jerking movements or stiffness
- Breast enlargement in men
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin eyes)
How do I store trifluoperazine?
Store trifluoperazine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Avoid getting dehydrated or extreme heat as Trifluoperazine may increase the risk of having heat stroke. Take plenty of oral fluids in hot weather and during exercise
- Trifluoperazine may rarely cause a group of symptoms called as Neuroleptic Malignant syndrome characterised by difficulty in swallowing, Muscle stiffness, rapid heart rate, visual disturbances, etc, stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor.
- Trifluoperazine should be used cautiously in elderly patients as they more prone for side effects like muscle stiffness, involuntary movements etc.
- Regular monitoring of your liver function test, complete cell counts, renal function test and eye examination is required when on this medication to look for possible side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team