Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Triamterene is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
What is triamterene?
Triamterene is potassium sparing diuretic which help in removing excess fluid & sodium from the body but preserving the body potassium.
Common uses of sryjygivh
Triamterene is used to reduce oedema due to Nephrotic syndrome etc and in combination with other drugs in the management of hypertension.
- Take triamterene exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of triamterene preferably with meals to avoid gastric upset.
- Take plenty of oral fluid when on triamterene.
- Triamterene may increase the amount of urine or may increase the frequency to urinate more often. Therefore take triamterene preferably during daytime to avoid waking up during night for urination.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking triamterene without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Cyclosporine, tacrolimus (Immunosupressive)
- Potassium supplements
- Low molecular weight heparin
- ACE inhibitors like enlapril, captopril etc
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Corticosteroids like Prednisone
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , Triamterene should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Acute or chronic renal failure
- History of kidney stones
- Increased uric acid levels / gout
- Electrolyte disturbance
- Metabolic or respiratory acidosis
- Triamterene is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that n Triamterene may harm an unborn baby as demonstrated by animal-reproductive studies. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
- Triamterene passes into breast milk. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Pregnant woman: Triamterene belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that triamterene may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether triamterene passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take triamterene with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Take plenty of oral fluids when on triamterene and avoid getting dehydrated due to extreme heat and exercise.
Doses for triamterene
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of Triamterene are
- Nausea & vomiting
- Confusion, restlessness, irritability
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Giddiness when getting up from sitting or lying down position
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin or eyes)
How do I store triamterene?
Store triamterene at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Triamterene causes increase in potassium levels. Do not use any potassium containing salt substitutes as it lead to life threatening problems if untreated.
- Triamterene causes dizziness and drowsiness. Hence avoid alcohol which may worsen this side effects and activities which requires you to be alert like driving, operating heavy machinery etc.
- Inform your doctor or dentist regarding triamterene medication prior to undergoing any procedure.
- Regular monitoring of body electrolytes especially serum Potassium is required when on triamterene to look for side effects.
- If you are diabetic on triamterene, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels.
- Consult your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and also to look for any possible side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team