What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Tranemic inj (Samart)
Tranexamic acid is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Tranexamic acid pronounced as: tran-ex-AM-ik ASS-id
Tranexamic acid is an anti fibrinolytic drug which inhibits breakdown of blood clots.
Tranexamic acid is used in the treatment of abnormal heavy menstrual bleeding, in haemophiliac patients before dental extraction, bleeding following injury etc.
- Take tranexamic acid exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take tranexamic acid at regular intervals with one glass of water.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking tranexamic acid without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Oral contraceptive pills
- anti-inhibitor coagulant complex
- Factor IX complex
- Estrogen preparations
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions, as Tranexamic acid should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Undiagnosed bleeding disorder
- Bleeding due to Dissemination intravascular coagulation (DIC)
- Colour blindness
- Liver or renal disease
Pregnant woman: Tranexamic acid belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that tranexamic acid is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether tranexamic acid passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take tranexamic acid with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of tranexamic acid are
Tranexamic acid may cause following side effects
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Decrease in the amount of urine passed or no urine at all
- Weakness on one side of the body
- Severe headache, confusion, giddiness
- Oedema in the hand, feet and legs
- Disturbances in colour vision
How do I store tranexamic acid?
Store tranexamic acid at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Regular monitoring of your complete blood cell counts, liver function test is required after starting tranexamic acid to monitor possible side effects.
- If you notice any change in your colour vision. Stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor for eye examination.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any unusual bleeding form in spite of taking medication.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team