What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Zetpril tab (Hetero HC (GenX))
Trandolapril is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Trandolapril pronounced as: tran-DOLE-a-pril
Trandolapril is an Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
Trandolapril is used the treatment of hypertension, acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) and management of heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction following myocardial infarction
- Take Trandolapril exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take Trandolapril with a full glass of water at regular intervals to avoid forgetting. Take plenty of oral fluids when on Trandolapril
- Do not take Trandolapril in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Trandolapril without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Do not use potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Potassium sparing diuretics like Amiloride, Spironolactone
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- NSAIDs like Diclofenac, aspirin, Ibuprofen etc
- Cyclosporine , Tacrolimus (immuno suppressive drugs)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions , as Trandolapril should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease,
- Renal artery stenosis
- Heart failure
- Connective tissue disorder like Lupus, scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis.
Lactating women: Trandolapril passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use trandolapril with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Avoid alcohol when on trandolapril as it increases he drowsiness and side effects caused by trandolapril.
Trandolapril is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of trandolapril are extreme weakness, fainting.
Trandolapril may cause following side effects
- Cough , nasal congestion
- Sleep disturbances
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Chest pain, palpitations
- Decrease in the amount of urine or no urine at all
- Oedema of the feet / hands, rapid weight gain
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Weakness , easy fatiguabilty
- Palpitations , irregular heartbeat
Store trandolapril at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Trandolapril causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Trandolapril may cause persistent dry cough as side effect which will subside as soon as the medication is stopped.
- Inform your doctor regarding trandolapril medication prior to any surgery or dental procedure as trandolapril may have to be stopped briefly.
- Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor as it may cause life threatening cardiac arrhythmias due to increase in potassium levels.
- Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels, blood cell counts, liver function test may be required to look for side effects.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking trandolapril.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team