What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Torsemide is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
What is torsemide?
Torsemide is a Thiazide diuretic which helps in removing fluid from the body. Hence, it’s also known as “water-pill”.
Common uses of torsemide
Torsemide is used in treatment of hypertension & excessive fluid retention as in cardiac failure, cirrhosis, chronic renal failure, nephrotic syndrome.
- Take Torsemide exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water.
- Torsemide increases the frequency for urination. Hence Take Torsemide preferably during early daytime to avoid waking up during night for urination.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Torsemide without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulpha drugs like sulphamethoxazole, sulphonamide, sulfadiazine etc as it may cause allergic reaction in these patients also.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- NSAIDs(Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) like aspirin, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc
- Corticosteroids like prednisone
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Torsemide should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Anuria( passing no urine at all)
- Electrolyte disturbance
What are the precautions I should follow for torsemide?
Children: Torsemide should not be used in children.
Pregnant woman: Torsemide belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that torsemide is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether torsemide passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take torsemide with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
If you are diabetic on Torsemide, keep a close watch on your blood glucose levels.
Doses for torsemide
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
- Muscle cramps
- Irregular heartbeat
- Very dry mouth , increased thirst
- Decrease the amount of urine passed
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Increased thirst, dry mouth
- Numbness & tingling sensation
- Extreme weakness, drowsiness, irritability
- Fast irregular heartbeat ,chest pain
- Hearing impairment, ringing sensation in ears(tinnitus)
How do I store torsemide?
Store torsemide at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Torsemide causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
- Your doctor may prescribe potassium supplement along with Torsemide medication as it depletes potassium from the body. Do not increase or decrease the dose without your doctor’s advice.
- Your doctor may advice you to take food high in potassium like orange, lemon, bananas etc.
- Regular monitoring of body electrolyte, bogy weight is required when on Torsemide to look for side effects.
- Torsemide sensitizes the skin to sunlight. Avoid prolong exposure to sunlight or wear long sleeved clothing& use sunscreen when you go out in sun.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Torsemide.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team