What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Terazosin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Common uses of terazosin
Terazosin is used in the treatment of hypertension and benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) or enlargement.
- Take terazosin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Terazosin is started with a small dose and then gradually increased over a period of few weeks to avoid hypotension.
- Take terazosin with full glass of water preferably at bedtime to avoid giddiness.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking terazosin without consulting your doctor.
- Terazosin should be tapered gradually over a period of weeks Stopping suddenly may worsen side effects.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs like, Clonidine
- Beta blockers like Propranolol, atenolol
- Calcium channel blocker like verapamil
- Sildenafil / Viagra
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Terazosin should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- Prostatic cancer
- History of narcolepsy( sudden attack of deep sleep)
Do not take terazosin if you are allergic to it.
What are the precautions I should follow for terazosin?
Pregnant woman: Terazosin belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that terazosin may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether terazosin passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take terazosin with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Avoid alcohol and other sedatives without your doctors advise as it may enhance drowsiness caused by terazosin.
Doses for terazosin
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of Terazosin are
- Loss of consciousness
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Prolonged painful erection
- Chest pain, breathing difficulty,
- Decrease in sexual interest & ability
- Oedema of feet
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Store terazosin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Terazosin causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Hence take initial dose at bedtime and use caution when changing position.
- Rarely terazosin may cause prolonged (4hrs or more) painful erection in males. Consult your doctor immediately as it could lead to permanent sexual disability.
- If you are undergoing cataract surgery, inform your surgeon prior to surgery regarding terazosin medication as it may affect the pupil during surgery.
- Avoid activities which require you to be alert like driving, handling heavy machinery, high spots etc as terazosin causes dizziness.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking terazosin.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team