What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Telma tab (Glenmark (Zoltan))
Telmisartan is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
How to use telmisartan
- Take telmisartan exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take telmisartan in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take telmisartan with a full glass of water at regular intervals to avoid forgetting.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking v without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Do not use potassium supplement without consulting your doctor.
- Telmisartan takes up to 2-4 wk to bring your blood pressure under control. Continue to take it regularly as prescribed to get the desired benefit.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking telmisartan?
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
1. Lithium (mood stabilizer)
3. Potassium sparing diuretics like spironolcatone
4. Anti coagulants like warfarin, heparin
5. Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Telmisartan should be used cautiously in these conditions
1. Liver disease
2. Kidney disease, Renal artery stenosis
3. Electrolyte disturbance
4. History of Biliary obstruction
When not to take telmisartan
Women should not take telmisartan in her 2nd and 3rd trimester and older people should not take if they are suffering from renal impairment.
Telmisartan belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that telmisartan may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
2nd, 3rd trimester
Telmisartan belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that telmisartan can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use telmisartan with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Telmisartan passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use telmisartan with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels is required specially in elderly patients and those with renal impairment to look for side effects.
Doses for telmisartan
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of telmisartan are
1. Rapid or slow Irregular heartbeat
2. Extreme weakness
- Nausea & vomiting
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Oedema of the feet / hands
- Difficulty in passing urine
How do I store telmisartan?
Store telmisartan at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
What is the most important information I should know about telmisartan
- Telmisartan causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
- Avoid alcohol when on telmisartan as it increases he drowsiness and side effects caused by telmisartan
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking telmisartan.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team