What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Sparfloxacin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
What is sparfloxacin?
Sparfloxacin is a broad spectrum antibacterial drug belonging to fluoroquinolone group of antibiotics.
Common uses of sparfloxacin
Sparfloxacin is used mainly in the treatment of lung infections like pneumonia, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis and eye infections.
How to use sparfloxacin
Take Sparfloxacin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take oral dose of Sparfloxacin before or after meals with one glass of water at regular intervals as prescribed by your doctor. Take lots of oral fluids when on this medication.
Do not take antacids and dairy products (curd, milk) with Sparfloxacin medication as it decreases its absorption. However you may take it 2 hrs before or 2hrs after taking Sparfloxacin medication.
Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better.
You must complete the entire course of medication to get maximum benefit; else the infection will not clear completely and in due course result in development of resistance.
- Sparfloxacin is known to interact with wide variety of drugs. Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- Anti arrhythmic drugs (Quindine, Amiodarone)
- Anti histamines -Terfenadine, Astemizole
- NSAIDS( Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Indomethacin)
- Other antibiotics( Erythromycin)
- Antidepressants like amitriptline, doxepin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as Sparfloxacin should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Kidney or liver disease
- History of tendon or joint injury
- Seizure disorder
- Family history of long QT interval
- Low potassium levels in blood (hypokalemia)
Old people: Sparfloxacin medication should be used cautiously in older people as the risk of tendon injury is more when on this medication.
Pregnant woman: Sparfloxacin belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that sparfloxacin may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether sparfloxacin passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take sparfloxacin with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Sparfloxacin is available as tablet, eye drops. Your doctor will prescribe them depending on the severity of the disease.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
For detailed dosage information, consult your doctor who will prescribe you depending on the severity of the disease.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician. The overdose symptoms of Sparfloxacin are slow and irregular heartbeat
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Nausea & vomiting, diarrhoea
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Irregular heartbeat, chest pain, light headedness, fainting
- Severe depression, suicidal thoughts and mood changes
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes)
How do I store sparfloxacin?
Store sparfloxacin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
Antibiotics may cause diarrhoea. Consult your doctor immediately if it is very severe as it could be a sign of new infection or pseudomembranous colitis.
Your doctor may advise you to undergo certain lab test like complete cell count, liver function test, renal function test periodically when Sparfloxacin is prescribed for long duration.
If you are diabetic taking this medication keep a close watch on your sugar levels.
Sparfloxacin impairs thought process and causes drowsiness. Avoid activities which require you to be alert.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team