What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Solet tab (Samarth)
Sotalol is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Common uses of sotalol
Sotalol is used in the treatment of supra ventricular arrythmias, atrial fibrillation and flutter
- Take Sotalol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take Sotalol with a full glass of water.
- Take Sotalol on empty stomach 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals at the same time every day to avoid forgetting.
- Do not take antacids with Sotalol. However you may take it 1hr before or 2 hrs after taking Sotalol medication
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Sotalol without consulting your doctor.
- Sotalol should be tapered gradually over a period of weeks Stopping suddenly may worsen arrhythmias and even cause Myocardial infarction (heart attack).
- Do not use Sotalol if you taking following medication like
- Astemizole , Terfenadine (anti histamine)
- Theophylline/ Aminophylline
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Ritonivir (anti HIV drug)
- antiarrythmic drugs- quinidine, propafenone,verapamil
- SSRIs like fluoxetine, paroxetine
- Cimetidine ( gastric medicine)
- Verapamil, nicardipine, felodipine(calcium channel blocker)
- diuretics like furosemide
- Antiboitics like erythromycin, azithromycin, clarithromycin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Sotalol should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis
- Raynauds disease
- History of heart failure or heart attack within 1mnth
- Slow pulse rate with heart block
- Liver or kidney disease
- Thyroid disorder
- Pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumour)
Pregnant woman: Sotalol belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that sotalol is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether sotalol passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take sotalol with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Strictly avoid alcohol when on sotalol medication as it increases its side effects
Doses for sotalol
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
The overdose symptoms of Sotalol are
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Slow heart rate
- Decrease in sexual interest and performance
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Oedema in both the feet, unusual weight gain
- Chest pain, breathing difficulty,
- Slow Irregular heart beat
- Tingling & numbness in extremities
- Cold clammy toes and fingers
Store sotalol at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Never stop Sotalol abruptly without consulting your doctor as it causes worsening of angina, arrhythmias or attack of MI.
- Inform your surgeon or dentist prior to any planned procedure regarding Sotalol medication as it may increase the side effects of anaesthetic drugs.
- Sotalol causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting and lying down position. Therefore use caution while changing position to avoid fall.
- If you are a diabetic on sotalol medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels as it may cause hypoglycaemia and mask its symptoms.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure, and pulse rate when taking sotalol.
- Regular monitoring of your electrocardiogram (ECG) and lab test like kidney function test is required when on sotalol medication.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team