Somatostatin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
- cyclosporine (immunosuppressive drug)
- Terfenadine ( anti histamine)
- .Quinidine (anti arrhythmic drug)
- Beta blocker like propranolol
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions, as Somatostatin should be used cautiously in these conditions
- history of gall stones or gall baldder disease
- Renal disease or on dialysis
- cardiac disease
- High blood pressure
Do not take somatostatin if you are hypersensitive to it.
Pregnant woman: Somatostatin belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that somatostatin is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether somatostatin passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take somatostatin with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Somatostatin is available as injection. It should be administered by a healthcare under strict aseptic precaution.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
Somatostatin may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Severe headache, giddiness, confusion
- Slow heartbeat, sweating, light headedness
Store somatostatin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Regular monitoring of lab test like growth hormone levels, blood glucose levels, and thyroid function is required when on somatostatin medication.
- If you are a diabetic on this medication monitor your blood sugar levels closely.
- Somatostatin may decrease intestinal absorption and you may require parenteral nutrition.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team