Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Rosuvas tab (Ranbaxy)
Rosuvastat tab (Dr.Reddy’s)
Rosuvastatin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner
Rosuvastatin is pronounced as: roe-SUE-vuh-stah-tin
Rosuvastatin is a lipid lowering drug belongs to HMG-coA reductase inhibitor. Rosuvastain is also called as statin.
Rosuvastatin reduces the cholesterol level in the blood.
Rosuvastatin reduces the low density lipo protein (LDL) and total cholesterol there by it reduces the deposit of the fat in the blood vessels and hardening of arteries, the condition called heart disease which can lead to heart attack.
Take rosuvastatin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Do not take rosuvastatin more or longer than the prescribed time, follow the directions on the prescription label.
Rosuvastatin can be taken with or with out food with full glass of water. It is usually taken at bed time if the patient need to take more than once, it should be taken with food.
Do not skip any doses of rosuvastatin, continue to take it even you feel better. You must complete entire course of medication as instructed by your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your helath expert if you are currently taking any prescription drugs like
- Anti coagulatns like warfarin
- Immunosuppressant drugs like ciclosporin
- Other cholesterol lowering drugs like gemfibrozil, fenofibrate
- Oral contraceptives.
- Inform your health care provider if you are suffering from any of the disease.
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Muscle disorder
- Inform your doctor if you take 3 or more alcoholic drinks in a day.
Rosuvastatin should not be taken if you are suffering from severe liver or kidney disease and if you are hypersensitive to it.
Rosuvastatin should not be taken if you are pregnant or breast feeding the baby.
Pregnant woman:Rosuvastatinbelongs to FDA pregnancy category X. This means that rosuvastatin will cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. The use of this drug in pregnancy clearly outweighs any possible benefit. Do not use rosuvastatin if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women:Rosuvastatin passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use rosuvastatin if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking rosuvastatin.
Concurrent administration of aluminium/magnesium hydroxide may lead to decreased bioavailability of rosuvastatin.
Rosuvastatin is available in the form of tablet.
Use rosuvastatin as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician
The common side effects for rosuvastatin are
If you experience any of the following side effects contact the doctor immediately
- Yellowing of eyes and skin
How do I store rosuvastatin?
Store rosuvastatin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Rosuvastatin alone can not help reduce the cholesterol level, strict diet, exercise and weight control is required for better results.
- Avoid eating foods which have high cholesterol. Avoid eating grape fruit or grape fruit juice which interact with rosuvastatin and casue dangerous side effects.
- Rosuvastatin you may need to take on long term basis if you have severe high cholesterol.
- To make sure rosuvastatin helping your condition you may need to do blood lipid profile test while taking the medication.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team