What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Respidon tab [ Torrent (Mind)]
Risnia syr [ Cipla (Protec)]
Risperidone is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Risperidone pronounced as: ris PER i done
Common uses of risperidone
Risperidone is used in the treatment of acute psychosis, Schizophrenia, Mania, bipolar disorder and irritable symptoms in autistic children.
- Take Risperidone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take Risperidone at regular intervals as advised by your doctor for it to be effective.
- Risperidone may take few wks to show its beneficial effects. However continue to take it as advised.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Risperidone without consulting your doctor as it may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Carbamazepine (anticonvulsant)
- Anti HIV drugs like Ritonavir, Indinavir
- Anti psychotics like Clozapine
- Anti Parkinson drugs like Levadopa
- SSRIs like Fluoxetine, paroxetine
- Rifampicin (antibacterial)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Risperidone should be used cautiously in these conditions
- History of heart attack, heart failure, arrhythmias
- History of breast cancer
- Seizure disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
- Renal and liver disease
- Electrolyte disturbance
Do not use risperidone for treating mental disorder caused by dementia.
Children: Do not use risperidone in children less than 5 years old.
Old people: Cautions is advised using risperidone in older people as they are more sensitive to adverse effects.
Pregnant woman: Risperidone belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that risperidone may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether risperidone passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take risperidone with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Avoid alcohol as it may increase side effects due to risperidone.
Risperidone is available in the form of tablets and suspension.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Risperidone include
- Palpitations. Irregular heartbeat
- Uncontrolled movements of hands, legs, face, tongue, jaw
Risperidone may cause following side effects
- Giddiness on getting up from sitting or lying down position
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Uncontrolled movements of the hands, legs, tongue, face, jaw
- Prolonged painful erection in men (Priapism)
- Enlargement of breast in men
- Tremors, Jerking movements or stiffness
- Fever, muscle stiffness. Sweating
Store risperidone at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Avoid getting dehydrated or extreme heat as Risperidone may increase the risk of having heat stroke. Take plenty of oral fluids in hot weather and during exercise
- Resperidone can cause prolonged painful erection even when not having sex. If affected consult your doctor immediately as it could lead to permanent sexual problems if not treated immediately.
- If you are diabetic on this medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels.
- Risperidone causes giddiness, drowsiness as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks.
- Risperidone should not be used in elderly patient to treat psychotic condition related to dementia as it may cause fatal heart attack and pneumonia in these patients.
- Risperidone may rarely cause a group of symptoms called as Neuroleptic Malignant syndrome characterised by difficulty in swallowing, Muscle stiffness, rapid heart rate, visual disturbances, etc, stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor.
- Risperidone should be used cautiously in elderly patients as they more prone for side effects like muscle stiffness, involuntary movements etc
- Regular monitoring of your liver function test, renal function test, and Body electrolytes is required when on this medication to look for possible side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team