What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Cardace cap (Sanofi Aventis)
Ramichek tab (Indoco (Radius))
Ramipril is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner
Ramipril is pronounced as: RAM i pril
Ramipril is an Anti hypertensive / Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
Ramipril is used in treatment of hypertension, heart failure, Myocardial infarction (heart attack) and for prevention of stroke in high risk patients.
- Take ramipril exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take ramipril in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take ramipril with a full glass of water at regular intervals to avoid forgetting. Take plenty of oral fluids when on ramipril.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking ramipril without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Do not use potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Potassium sparing diuretics like Amiloride, Spironolactone
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- NSAIDs like Diclofenac, aspirin, Ibuprofen etc
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions , as Ramipril should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease,
- Renal artery stenosis
- Electrolyte disturbance
- Connective tissue disorder like Lupus, scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis.
Do not take ramipril if you are hypersensitive to any of the ACE inhibitors.
Pregnant woman: Ramipril belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that ramipril can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use ramipril with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Ramipril passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use ramipril with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Avoid alcohol when on ramipril as it increases he drowsiness and side effects caused by ramipril.
Ramipril is available in the form of tablets and capsules.
Use ramipril as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician
Ramipril may cause following side effects
- Decrease in sexual interest
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Decrease in the amount of urine or no urine at all
- Oedema of the feet / hands, rapid weight gain
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Store ramipril at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Ramipril causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor as it may cause life threatening cardiac arrhythmias due to increase in potassium levels.
- Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels is required especially in elderly patients and those with renal impairment to look for side effects.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Ramipril.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team