What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Qutan tab (Intas)
Socalm tab [Ranbaxy (Solus)]
Quetiapine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Quetiapine pronounced as: kwe-TYE-a-peen
Quetiapine is an antipsychotic drug.
Quetiapine is used in the treatment of Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Take Quetiapine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take Quetiapine at regular intervals as advised by your doctor for it to be effective.
- Quetiapine may take few wks to show its beneficial effects. However continue to take it as advised.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Quetiapine without consulting your doctor as it may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Anti convulsants like phenytoin, carbamazepine,
- Antifungal like ketoconazole
- Rifampicin (antibacterial)
- Antibiotics like Clarithromycin, Sparfloxacin, erythromycin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Quetiapine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bone marrow suppression
- CNS depression, coma
- History of suicide
- History of heart attack, heart failure, arrhythmias
- Seizure disorder
- Renal and liver disease
- Electrolyte disturbance
Lactating women: It is not known whether quetiapine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take quetiapine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Avoid alcohol as it may increase side effects due to Quetiapine.
Quetiapine is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Quetiapine include
Quetiapine may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Uncontrolled movements of the hands, legs, tongue, face, jaw
- Suicidal thoughts , depression
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin eyes)
- Fever, muscle stiffness, Sweating
Store quetiapine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Quetiapine can cause suicidal thoughts or actions in children, adolescents, young adults. Family members should keep a close watch on the patient and consult the doctor immediately if the symptoms worsen.
- Avoid getting dehydrated or extreme heat as Quetiapine may increase the risk of having heat stroke. Take plenty of oral fluids in hot weather and during exercise
- If you are diabetic on this medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels.
- Quetiapine causes giddiness, drowsiness as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks.
- Quetiapine may rarely cause a group of symptoms called as Neuroleptic Malignant syndrome characterised by difficulty in swallowing, Muscle stiffness, rapid heart rate, visual disturbances, etc, stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor.
- Quetiapine should be used cautiously in elderly patients as they more prone for side effects like muscle stiffness, involuntary movements etc
- Regular monitoring of your cholesterol levels, Body electrolytes, blood glucose levels is required when on this medication to look for possible side effect
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 07, 2012