Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Pioglitazone is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Pioglitazone is pronounced as: PYE-oh-GLI-ta-zone
Pioglitazone is oral anti diabetic medication.
Pioglitazone is used to treat type 2 diabetes (Non insulin dependent diabetes)
Take pioglitazone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
Do not stop taking this medication unless advised by your doctor.
Take pioglitazone with food.
Always remember to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently taking any OTC drugs or prescription drugs like rifampicin, insulin, Warfarin and other anti diabetic drugs..
This may not be the complete list of drugs interact with pioglitazone, ask your pharmacist if any other drugs interact with this medication.
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions as pioglitazone should be cautiously used.
Liver or kidney disease or endocrinal problems
Do not use pioglitazone if you have
Children: Pioglitazone should not be used in children
Pregnant woman: Pioglitazone belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that pioglitazone may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether pioglitazone passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take pioglitazone with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Avoid alcohol while using pioglitazone. Alcohol decreases blood sugar level and increases the risk of hypoglycemia.
Pioglitazone is available in the form of tablet.
Use pioglitazone as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses of pioglitazone at the same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The following are the side effects you may experience with pioglitazone
Consult your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects
- Allergic reactions like chest congestion, breathing problems, swelling of the face, lips
- Severe headache, dizziness,
- Severe nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
Store pioglitazone at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Proper diet and regular exercise are important to keep control normal blood sugar levels.
- It is advised to have the blood or urine glucose test to monitor the drug therapy.
- Symptoms of low blood sugar levels are
- Nausea, extreme hunger, rapid heartbeat
- Dizziness, drowsiness, headache, restlessness, anxiety, blurred vision
- Convulsions, loss of consciousness, coma and low body temp.
- Symptoms of high blood sugar levels are
- Excessive thirst, increased urination, increased hunger,
- Headache, confusion, blurred vision, weight loss, fatigue
- Viginal and skin infection, slow healing of sores, ulcers and cuts, Erectile dysfunction
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team