What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Coversyl tab (Serdia)
Perigard tab (Glenmark (Zoltan))
Perindopril is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Perindopril pronounced as: per-IN-doe-prill
Perindopril is an anti hypertensive / Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
Perindopril is used in treatment of hypertension, management of heart failure and to prevent myocardial infarction in high risk patients (Ischemic heart disease).
- Take Perindopril exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take Perindopril in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take Perindopril with a full glass of water preferably on empty stomach 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals at regular intervals to avoid forgetting. Take plenty of oral fluids when on Perindopril.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Perindopril without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
- Do not use potassium supplements without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Potassium sparing diuretics like Amiloride, Spironolactone
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- NSAIDs like Diclofenac, aspirin, Ibuprofen etc
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions , as Perindopril should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease,
- Renal artery stenosis
- Heart failure
- Connective tissue disorder like Lupus, scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis.
Do not take perindopril if you have hypersensitivity reaction to any other ACE inhibitors and for women if they are in 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy.
Old people: Caution is advised for using in older people as they are more sensitive to adverse effects like dizziness.
1st Trimester of pregnancy
Perindopril belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that perindopril may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy
Perindopril belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that perindopril can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use perindopril with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Perindopril passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use perindopril with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor as it may cause life threatening cardiac arrhythmias due to increase in potassium levels.
Perindopril is available in the form of tablets.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Perindopril are extreme weakness, fainting.
Perindopril may cause following side effects
- Decrease in sexual interest
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Decrease in the amount of urine or no urine at all
- Oedema of the feet / hands, rapid weight gain
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Store perindopril at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Perindopril causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Perindopril may cause persistent dry cough as side effect which will subside as soon as the medication is stopped.
- Inform your doctor regarding Perindopril medication prior to any surgery or dental procedure as Perindopril may have to be stopped briefly.
- Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels, blood cell counts, liver function test may be required to look for side effects.
- Avoid alcohol when on Perindopril as it increases he drowsiness and side effects caused by Perindopril.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Perindopril.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team