What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Olanex tab [Ranbaxy (Solus)]
Oleanz tab (Sun)
Olanzapine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Olanzapine pronounced as: oh-LAN-za-peen
Olanzapine is an anti psychotic medication.
Common uses of olanzapine
Olanzapine is used in the treatment of Schizophrenia and to control Agitation and behavioural disturbances in Mania/ Schizophrenia.
- Take olanzapine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take olanzapine at regular intervals as advised by your doctor for it to be effective.
- Take plenty or oral fluids to avoid dehydration when on olanzapine.
- Olanzapine may take as long as 4 wks to show its beneficial effects. However continue to take the medication as advised.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking olanzapine without consulting your doctor as it may worsen your condition.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Anti Parkinson drugs llike Levadopa, Seligiline etc
- Omeprazole (proton pump inhibitor)
- Anti convulsants like phenytoin. Phenobarbitone, carbamazepine
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Olanzapine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Alzheimer disease, dementia
- Enlarged Prostate
- Seizure disorder
- liver or kidney disease
- Cardiac disease like arrhythmias, hypertension etc
Old people: Olanzapine should be used cautiously in older people as they more prone for side effects like muscle stiffness, involuntary movements etc
Pregnant woman: Olanzapine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that olanzapine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether olanzapine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take olanzapine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Olanzapine is available in the form of tablet and injection.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Olanzapine include
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
Olanzapine may cause following side effects
- Pain, swelling at the site of injection
- Giddiness on getting up from sitting or lying down position
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Muscle stiffness, Fever, difficulty in swallowing
- Hallucination , suicidal thoughts, behavioural changes
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin eyes)
- Visual and speech disturbances
- Uncontrolled movements of the hands, legs, tongue, face
Store olanzapine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- If you are a diabetic on this medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels as olanzapine may raise your blood sugar levels.
- Avoid getting dehydrated or extreme heat as Olanzapine may increase the risk of having heat stroke. Take plenty of oral fluids in hot weather and during exercise
- Olanzapine causes giddiness, drowsiness and visual disturbances as side effects. Therefore when affected do not drive, operate heavy machinery or perform unsafe tasks and avoid alcohol.
- Olanzapine may rarely cause a group of symptoms called as Neuroleptic Malignant syndrome (NMS) characterised by difficulty in swallowing, Muscle stiffness, rapid heart rate, visual disturbances, fever, sweating etc. Stop the drug immediately and consult your doctor.
- Regular monitoring of your fasting blood sugar levels and liver function tests is required when on this medication to look for possible side effects.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do
Written by: Healthplus24 team