What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Korandil tab (Sun)
Nikoran inj (Torrent (Psycan))
Nicorandil is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Nicorandil pronounced as: nee-cor-an-dil
Nicorandil is an anti angina medication belonging to potassium channel opener group of drugs.
Nicorandil is used in the management of angina (chest pain).
- Take nicorandil exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of nicorandil at regular intervals with one glass of water.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking nicorandil without consulting your doctor.
- Nicorandil should be taken regularly as directed by your doctor to be effective in reducing the number and severity of attack of angina attack.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- Medication for erectile dysfunction like sildenafil( Viagra)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Other antihypertensive drugs and heart medication
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Nicorandil should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Low blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure
Do not take nicorandil if you are suffering from heart problems.
Pregnant woman: Nicorandil belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that nicorandil is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether nicorandil passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take nicorandil with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Avoid drinking alcohol when on nicorandil as it increases its side effects and may cause increased drowsiness and fainting.
Nicorandil is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of nicorandil are not known.
Nicorandil may cause following side effects
- Vomiting & nausea
- Flushing , redness warm skin
Consult your doctor immediately if the following symptoms occur:
- Allergic reaction characterised by swelling of lips, breathing difficulty, redness, rash, etc
Store nicorandil at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Consult your doctor immediately if there is no improvement in chest pain despite adequate medication.
- Nicorandil may cause dizziness when getting up from lying down or sitting position. Use precaution when changing position to prevent fall.
- Avoid activities which require you to be alert as nicorandil may impair ability to drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet; quit smoking, alcohol to improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 27, 2011