What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Nebicard (Torrent (Psycan))
Endolol (Hetero HC (Genx))
Nebivolol is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Nebivolol pronounced as: ne-BIV-oh-lol
Nebivolol is an anti hypertensive / cardio selective beta blocker.
Nebivolol is used in the treatment of hypertension, angina (chest pain), and along with other drugs in the management of heart failure.
- Take Nebivolol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Take Nebivolol with a full glass of water regularly as prescribed by doctor.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Nebivolol without consulting your doctor.
- Nebivolol should be tapered gradually over a period of weeks Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension or cause other serious cardiac problems like worsening of angina or even heart attack.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like
- Tricyclic antidepressants like fluoxetine, paroxetine
- Painkillers like Ibuprofen
- Other antihypertensive like Clonidine, Reserpine, beta blockers( atenolol, Propranolol)
- Anti arrhythmic drugs- amiodarone, procainamide, propafenone
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Nebivolol should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Bronchial asthma
- Thyroid disorder
- Liver or kidney disease
- Pheochromocytoma( adrenal tumour)
- History of heart failure or heart attack within 1mnth
- Slow pulse rate with heart block
Do not take nebivolol of you are suffering from liver disease or you have 2nd and 3rd degree heart block with out pace maker.
Pregnant woman: Nebivolol belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that nebivolol is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether nebivolol passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take nebivolol with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
If you are a diabetic on nebivolol medication keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels as it may cause hypoglycaemia and mask its symptoms.
Nebivolol is available in the form of tablets.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Nebivolol are
- Shortness of breath
- Slow heart rate
Nebivolol may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Cold clammy toes and fingers
Store nebivolol at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Nebivolol causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Therefore when dizzy do not drive or get involve in activity which requires you to be alert.
- Never stop nebivolol abruptly without consulting your doctor as it causes rebound hypertension and worsening of angina or attack of MI.
- Inform your surgeon or dentist prior to any planned procedure regarding Nebivolol medication as it may increase the side effects of anaesthetic drugs.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Nebivolol.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team