Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Metronidazole is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Metronidazole is pronounced as: me troe NI da zole
Metronidazole is anti-infective / antibacterial and antiprotozaol drug.
Metronidazole is used in the treatment of following conditions
- Dental infections
- In combination with other antibiotic to treat H.pylori infection in peptic ulcer disease
- Post operatively for anaerobic infections
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Diabetic foot
- Leg ulcers
- Take Metronidazole exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you do not understand ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take oral dose of Metronidazole after meals with 1 glass of water at regular intervals as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take suspension on empty stomach 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals. Tablet should be taken with food.
- Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better.
- You must complete the entire course of medication to get maximum benefit; else the infection will not clear completely and in due course result in development of resistance.
- Inform your doctor if you are using any OTC or any prescription drugs like
- Cimetidine( anti histamine)
- Oral anti coagulants( warfarin)
- Anti convulsants (phenytoin, phenbarbitone)
- Mood stabilizers ( Lithium)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as Metronidazole should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Seizure disorder
- History of low blood counts.
- Kidney or liver disease
- Intestinal disease ( Crohns disease)
Metronidazole belongs to FDA pregnancy category B. This means that metronidazole is safe during pregnancy and is not expected to cause any harm to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
It is not known whether metronidazole passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take metronidazole with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding baby.
Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking metronidazole and after stopping the medication for at least three days if you have take sustained release drug other wise for 24 hours. If you drink alcohol you will notice side effects like flushing, tingling& numbness, fever, nausea and vomiting.
Metronidazole is available as tablet, suspension, injection, gel and topical ointment. Your doctor will prescribe it depending on the severity of the disease.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Metronidazole are
- Loss of coordination,
- Nausea, vomiting,
- Tingling &numbness,
- Abnormal metallic taste
- Nausea, vomiting
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes peeling of skin, blistering etc
- Severe diarrhea associated with bloody stools
- Fever, chills, sore throat
- Burning sensation & pain while passing urine
- Tingling & numbness in extremities
- White patches or sore in the mouth (oral thrush)
Store mertonidazole at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Antibiotics usually cause mild diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately if it is severe, associated with mucus or bloody stools, as it could be sign of new infection or pseudomembranous colitis.
- Metronidazole can cause drowsiness. Avoid activities which require you to be alert.
- Your doctor may advise you to undergo lab test like total leukocyte count and liver function test before and after starting Metronidazole to look for side effects
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last modified: May 24, 2012