What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
SINOPIL tab® [ GSK ]
LACIVAS FC-tab® [ Sun (Aztec) ]
Lacidipine is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Lacidipine is a Calcium Channel Blocker.
Lacidipine is used in the treatment of hypertension.
How to use lacidipine
- Take Lacidipine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take lacidipine with or with out the food.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water.
- Take lacidipine at the same time every day to avoid forgetting.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Lacidipine without consulting your doctor. Stopping suddenly may worsen hypertension.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking lacidipine?
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Cimetidine( anti histamine)
- Antibiotics like erythromycin, Rifampicin
- Anti convulsants like carbamazepine, phenytoin
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Anti fungal like itraconazole, Fluconazole
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Lacidipine should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Diseases of blood vessel like aortic stenosis, coronary artery disease,
Lacidipine should not be taken within one month of heart attack, un stable angina.
Pregnant woman: Lacidipine belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that lacidipine may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether lacidipine passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take lacidipine with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Other: Avoid taking grape fruit or juices when on Lacidipine.
Lacidipine is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Lacidipine are
- Light headedness, fainting
- Fast or slow irregular heartbeat.
Lacidipine may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Chest pain, breathing difficulty,
- Palpitations, Irregular heart beat
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes, skin)
- Unusually fast or slow pulse
Store lacidipine at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Never stop Lacidipine abruptly without consulting your doctor as it causes rebound hypertension and worsening of angina or attack of MI.
- Lacidipine causes gum swelling. Maintain good oral hygiene by regularly brushing & flossing your teeth.
- Lacidipine causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position due to postural hypotension. Therefore when dizzy do not drive or get involve in activity which requires you to be alert.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking Lacidipine.
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: December 02,2011