What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Kancin inj (Alembic)
Kanamycin is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Kanamycin is pronounced as: KAN a MYE sin
Kanamycin is an anti infective / antibacterial drug belonging to amino glycoside group of antibiotics.
Kanamycin is used in the treatment of
- Penicillin resistant gonorrhoea,
- Staphylococcal infections,
- Irrigation of body cavities,
- To suppress intestinal flora in hepatic encephalopathy patients.
How to use kanamycin
- Kanamycin injection can be administered intramuscularly or intravenously under strict aseptic precautions exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Kanamycin injection should be inspected visually for particulate matter prior to administration.
- Preparations of kanamycin containing visibly opaque particles should NOT be used.
- Take plenty of oral fluids when on kanamycin medication.
- Kanamycin should be taken regularly as prescribed by your doctor to attain maximum benefit.
- Do not skip any doses. Continue to take it even when you feel better.
- You must complete the entire course of medication to get maximum benefit; else the infection will not clear
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any prescription like
- Amphotercin B( antifungal)
- other nephrotoxic drugs(cisplatin) ;
- NSAIDS( Ibuprofen),
- Loop diuretics( ethacrynic acid, furesemide)
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical conditions as kanamycin should be used cautiously in the below mentioned conditions
- Renal impairment
- Hearing impairment
- Parkinson disease
- Myasthenia gravis
- Inform your surgeon or dentist if your undergoing any planned procedure when on kanamycin medication as it increases the side effects of the anaesthetic drugs.
Children: Kanamycin medication should be used cautiously in neonates and infants as their renal function is low.
Old people: Kanamycin medication should be used cautiously in elderly individual as their renal function is low.
Pregnant woman: kanamycin belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that kanamycin can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use kanamycin with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: kanamycin passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use kanamycin with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Kanamycin may cause dizziness; avoid driving or operating the machine where you need to be alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking kanamycin as it worsens the adverse effects of drug.
Kanamycin is available as solid dosage form, injection and eye drops. Your doctor will prescribe them depending on the severity of the disease.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease.
Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
For detailed dosage information, consult your doctor who will prescribe you depending on the severity of the disease.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Kanamycin are
- Tingling and numbness in the extremities
- Decrease in amount of urine passed
Kanamycin may causes following side effects like
- Redness and pain at the site of injection
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes etc
- Decrease in the amount of urine passed
- Ringing sensation in the ears(tinnitus)
Store kanamycin at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Kanamycin is effective against bacteria does not cure the viral infections like common cold or flu.
- Your doctor may advise you to undergo hearing and renal function tests before and after starting kanamycin medication to look for possible side effects.
- Inform your surgeon or dentist if your undergoing any planned procedure when on Kanamycin medication as it increases the side effects of the anaesthetic drugs.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012