Brand names and manufacturer
What should I know before taking this drug
Additional information if any
Note: Isoprenaline is called as Isoproterenol
Isoprenaline is a prescription drug available from your pharmacy store only with the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner.
Isoprenaline is pronounced as:ī-sō-pren′ă-lēn
Isoprenaline is adrenergic / bronchodilator
- Take isoprenaline exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If do not understand these instructions ask your pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them to you.
- Do not take the medication in larger amounts or for longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Isoprenaline spray if you are using it first time tilt the bottle up and down slowly so that the foam does not form and spray for 8 times in to the air before using in the nostrils.
- Isoprenaline respules content is transferred into nebulizer chamber as specified and mouth piece or face mask is attached to the chamber and inhaled until no mist is produced.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking isoprenaline without consulting your doctor.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking isoprenaline?
- Always remember to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently taking any OTC drugs or prescription drugs like , Adrenalin, halothane, digitalis
- This may not be the complete list of drugs interact with isoprenaline, ask your pharmacist if any other drugs interact with this medication.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following medical conditions as isoprenaline should be cautiously used.
- Heart disease, high BP
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
Do not use isoprenaline If you are hypersensitive to it. If you have heart problems like irregular heart beat.
Pregnant woman: Isoprenaline belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means that isoprenaline may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: It is not known whether isoprenaline passes into breast milk or if it could harm the baby. Do not take isoprenaline with out first talking to doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Other: Do not exercise in cold environment, breath dust and avoid smoking.
Isoprenaline is available in the form of tablet, inhaler, ampule and injection. Your doctor will prescribe depending on the severity and condition of the disease.
Use isoprenaline as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses of isoprenaline at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose of isoprenaline contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The following are the side effects you may experience with isoprenaline
If you experience any of the following side affects stop the isoprenaline medication and consult your doctor immediately
- Allergy (Chest congestion, breathing problem)
Store isoprenaline at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Isoprenaline may cause dizzness. Do not drive or operate the machinery.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012