Do not use potassium supplement without consulting your doctor.
- Always remember to inform your health expert if you are currently taking any OTC or prescription drugs like,
- Lithium (mood stabilizer)
- Potassium sparing diuretics like Amiloride
- Anti coagulants like warfarin, heparin
- Other Anti hypertensive drugs
- Inform your doctor if you have following medical diseases , as Irbesartan should be used cautiously in these conditions
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease, Renal artery stenosis
- History of Biliary obstruction
- Severe congestive heart failure
Do not use irbesarten if you are pregnant and in 2nd and 3rd trimester.
1st month pregnancy
Irbesartan belongs to FDA pregnancy category C. This means irbesartan may harm an unborn baby if used during pregnancy but potential benefit may warrant use of the drug in pregnant woman despite potential risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
2nd and 3rd month pregnancy
Irbesartan belongs to FDA pregnancy category D. This means that irbesartan can harm an unborn baby and cause birth defects if used during pregnancy. Do not use irbesartan with out your doctor consent however its use is justified if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning for conception.
Lactating women: Irbesartan passes into breast milk and harm nursing baby. Do not use irbesartan with out the consent from your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
Other: Avoid alcohol when on irbesartan as it increases he drowsiness and side effects caused by irbesartan.
Irbesartan is available in the form of tablet.
Use as directed by your physician, your physician prescribes depending on the severity of disease. Use the complete course of medication as prescribed by your physician even though you feel better after one or two days of usage of medication.
If it is almost the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at same time to cover up the missed dose.
In case of overdose contact your nearest poison control centre or emergency medical centre for immediate care by physician.
The overdose symptoms of Irbesartan are
- Rapid or slow Irregular heartbeat
Irbesartan may cause following side effects
Consult your doctor immediately if notice following symptoms.
- Allergic reaction like swollen lips, hives, difficulty in breathing, rashes. Peeling of skin etc
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Decrease in the amount of urine
- Oedema of the feet / hands
- Difficulty in passing urine
Store irbesartan at room temp (15 – 30 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight, never store in the bathroom.
Keep it out of reach of children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed off safely.
- Irbesartan causes dizziness when used for the first time when getting up from sitting or lying down position. Hence avoid alcohol and activities which requires you to be alert.
- Do not take potassium supplements without consulting your doctor as it may cause increase side effects.
- Regular monitoring of serum potassium levels is required especially in elderly patients and those with renal impairment to look for side effects.
- Visit your doctor regularly for monitoring your blood pressure and pulse rate when taking irbesartan
- Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes like regular exercise, healthy diet, quit smoking, alcohol to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health.
It is imp to read manufacturing packaging instruction carefully if available and always do not hesitate to consult pharmacist or physician for any information.
Written by: Healthplus24 team
Date last updated: May 31, 2012